Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Referals to the coil wiring design?

I just got my new-old B10 running with a little starter fluid and gas. This machine was converted to a coil-resistor design and I intend to diagram this for possibly getting my 101 running with this method. Can anyone refer me to any references on how this is done? Also anyone who knows where to get these parts on the reasonable-cheap side, I'd appreciate a reference. I've not found the time to pull the engine on the 101 to find out if this is a magneto problem, but this looks like a simple neat solution. Tomorrows task on the B10 is an oil change, air filter is perfectly clean and some carb cleaner. Run it a while to find out if some brief smoking was a problem or just not running a year problem. I'm charging the old battery on this now and hopefully there is some life in that; this design does not run without a battery.

Michael, If you don't get everything you need from Maynard's link, then email me. There are several ways to wire the ignition, depending on the parts, coil, switch, etc. that you use. I've done several.

Rodney & Maynard, Thank you! I'm going to call Jack's tomorrow to see what parts are available. The one thing I am going to cross reference is the "condensor", I bought a condensor and points and I am not sure if the plans which Maynard referred me to needs me to purchase a different condensor; i.e. not sure if it is a different value. I was hoping Jack's could help me cross reference that. Note: I was very impressed how fast this B10 started up. I am hoping I can get that 101 running this way. I may consider going back to original later, but hey life is too short to go backwards. Time is key.

Michael, You can run the original points and condenser, or you can get a Kohler condenser and coil, or you can run an automotive condenser. They are nearly all the same for points systems, just different sizes and mountings. Most are between .15 and .3 mfd. You can use an automotive coil if you put in an external ballast resistor. Kohler coils have them built in. Keep in mind that you need to change the ignition switch to a battery ignition type, older Kohler setup instead of B/S. Get one for an AC 710, 712,or 716 with a Kohler one cylinder engine.

I think you can also get a coil with a resistor built in at a good auto parts store. The only reason they put external resistors in was to drop the voltage down to save on point wear. They could "jump" the resistor during starting to get a hotter spark.

Thanks for the tip: Called Napa and can have tomorrow... along with a Ramo-matic (see other post). 1. A coil with an internal resistor.  Napa Stens 7-01634 $24 2. 12v condenser Napa Stens 701338 $3.49 3. Spark plug wire to go from the coil to the plug.  Napa sells the parts 4. Wire I have 5. They have universal ignition switches in stock.