Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B-1 Generator

dbarhydt

Is there a cheap and or easy way to test The generator to see if it is charging the battery or not. For all of us non-mechanical guys?:I ?

Electrical test meter set on volts. Connect to the postive and negitive post of battery. 13 volts or more chargeing Less than 12 volts not chargeing. 12 to 13 volt charging but not good. [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/service/electrics/electrical_systems.htm[/url]

if s/g is still mounted on engine and you have amp gauge on mower with engine running feed ground to field post on s/g that will be the post with smaller wire hook to it watch your amp gauge. jj

JJ, Are you trying to say here: Shunt the "F" (field) terminal to ground and monitor the ammeter for a positive(charging)reading? Remember there are "Caps" and "Shift" keys on your keyboard. The maximum output of this starter-generator is about 10 amps on a good day. Regards, Tom(PK)

i found that you can test the genrater itis very easy to do. conect the red wire to the + side of the batery and conect the blak wire to the - side of the batery. then chek the gage. if the gage says 13v or more then the genrater is charging corectely clint

don't understand CAPS&SHIFT keys. the word shunt never cross my mind if it had i would not hav use it.it can be used two ways.shunt for ground.or shunt move to one side or switch or shift. jj