Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Salthart

M18-s question for the engine builders out there.

Salthart
A man dropped off a Sunstar the other day that was flooding badly. There IS a problem with the float but the air filter was wet with engine oil and with the filter removed there is a good bit of blow-by. I haven't yet located my manometer but there is little doubt. 2 seasons ago he had to have the engine removed and a flywheel side crank seal installed. Seems there was a bad oil leak so its fairly safe to assume this has been a growing problem. I have only built 3 or 4 of these engines ( all a good number of years back ) and my question is this.. New jugs or bore jobs ? Any input on the build ? And what about engine replacement V/S overhaul ? Thanks in advance for your input..

HubbardRA
First thing I would do is check out the cylinders. Blow-by is caused by leaky compression rings. Could be normal ring wear, or could be scored cylinder. Check it out first before making the decision. If cylinders are still smooth with no scores or scratches, then hone them and install new rings. Done this several times, it has always worked. Put new rings in my B/S 243431 twice, and still stock size and bore. Rings stuck first time, and lost tension from overheating second time.

D-17_Dave
I had a magnum kohler that came back from warranty work one time, first thing it did was blow the crank seal. I got tired of takeing it 50 miles to the repair place so I put a new seal in. blew it out again. i got to looking and they had installed the breather valve in backwords causeing it to biuld very high crankcase pressure. check and make sure it's venting properly, then a repair or rebiuld is def. in order.