Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Scoop begins 'Done and Digging'

MPH

Well, I got started on this 'shovel on wheels', if it wasn't that the shipping would cost me the price of the Johnnybucket, I'd have one on order. Taxing my fabbing skills here. Here's the design of my bucket. Pretty sure I'm gonna have to change to mounting the pivot points on the side like the Johnnybucket and the Steiner 'Slip scoop' which I've had a picture of for four years now. As is, I have to have the arms about 4 inches longer to get full dump.

Free old hot water heater, piece of 10gauge plate, fire wrench and disc grinder.

couple old van struts, wantted harden shaft for pivot pins with a hardened bushing to pivot on, hard way to get them.

Went through a whole bunch of 4 inch cutting discs.

Hmmm, pieces seem to fit together

spot welded together, sure need a wire feed for this.

Put in about 15 hours yesterday, think a wirefeed is moving up the dream list after welding the bucket up

Was gonna put four skid reinforcement on the bottom, but the iron pile said I gotta try 3.

Split this 3/4 pipe with my 4in peanut grinder to put on the top edge of the bucket.

wantting to control the level of the bucket from the seat, I had this thought, turned out it wasn't a very deep thought, needs some help.

done and off the slab

Gonna move this mountain

With no rear counter wt., I figured out real quick its on the wrong tractor, the hydro lift is on the Landlord, but the manual was handy for building with.

Landlord in the pile. Getting a full load outta a pile is why I wantted to be able to 'curl' the bucket, just gotta have 2 spool hydro

Out in the field I disked about 2 weeks ago, I was flat impressed

IMO Johnny the bucket man is doing right on his prices if you can get it delivered for a decent cost. Did a lot of yard scrounging for goodies, but still spent about 125 dollars plus my next electric bill and three hard days at it, though they were fun time spent. How come the last four pictures I loaded loaded at the very bottom of the box? Had to cut/paste them and move them where they belong, never had that problem before. Maybe its this new/used keyboard, the spacer bar only works if you hit in the middle, shared my coffee with the old one last nite, dumb thing didn't like coffee.

looks great to me. Fabrication is a chalange but Im having a hard time finding cylinders and a pump. Then the cost of the hoses have held me up from a project like this. What gage of steel are you using? Your doing great.

Look'n Good Marty, I've been looking at doing something of the same but using the heavy duty snowblade that has the trip springs. Unhooking the springs and having bolt on sides with the bottom welded to the sides. This way I could have a dual blade and just be able to bolt the sides/bottom on when I wanted the bucket. Mainly to clean out the barn. Just in the thinking stages though.

;)Looks real good from here Marty.;) How do you like that propane fire wrench? I got to impatient waiting for it to pre heat, and never cared for them. But guess acetylene may not be real handy up there.

Looks like it's coming together nicely. You sure learn how to recycle up there don't you. That will come in handy.

Don't forget something for the cutting edge. Nedd to have a strip of something thick like 3/8" to keep the center from folding up around a rock or something if you hit it. Looks great!!

Marty, Before you get too far down the road, you may want to look at this link... He's using a winch and getting over 36" of lift, it looks like... http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg0523442019251.html?7

Kent, That's quite the setup. I bet a lot of people will be copying that idea. I definately think if Marty's got the stock I would try to use that concept. Seeing stuff like that makes me say WOW ! It's motivational too. Makes me want to go buy a mig welder and start fabricating. I must say it is impressive seeing Marty recycle and come up with a attachment using recycled goods.

After a 15 day yesterday Kent, I'm too far down the road now. About an hour from having the bucket swingging on the frame work.Sure was dreaming hard about a wirefeed yesterday while I was burning up 6013 on 80 amps welding the bucket up. Think I got at least 1/3 box of rods in it. And yes Joe, I did burn a few holes in the 14 gauge, the 10 gauge wasn't bad though.

:DMarty, Got a couple copper (sp) buss bars, just for fixin those holes. Your no way alone on that thin stuff. Kent, That fella did a real nice job!! That one bears thinking about.

Joe, by buss bars, you mean like outta an electrical breaker box? Possible I have such a think out in the woods around here, but, how do I use them? I don't know much about this welding stuff, so you gotta tell me the whole trick. I just graduated from a carpentors pencil to a white chalk stick this past fall. I get along with that propane alright, likely because I'm too cheap to pay for actlye so I have never used it for cutting so I don't Know any different. Like that concept Kent, Think I'd be a little conserned about it twisting with the main arms made outta 1 1/2 by 1/2 inch strap. The lift would be handy for sure.

Interesting, but note that the arms pivot from points outside the tractor frame. To me it looks like he has a sub-frame of some sort. One advantage of the JBJr. and Marty's is that they use standard hitch points. Having that much lift would be nice for loading a cart, but one of the things with these units is that you don't really need one....

Kirk, What's to prevent using a hitch that pinned into both sets of axle hitch points, and came toward the back of the tractor, instead of going forward. The challenge I see is clearing the drag link and the front tires. Being able to lift it would also allow you to put stuff in one big pile, without having to build the pile so you can drive up the pile to dump...

Kent, I've been running that one around in the back of my mind all night..... I had been thinking something like a blower hitch that fits over the front axle and pins to both sets of holes like the Sweepster hitch, only with the lower portion coming back like the grader blade or more likely the mid-mount cultivator. With long bucket arms and an extension on the tractor lift arm like Dutch made, you might be able to get that much lift height without the winch and tower out front. I'll have to think some more on that one....

I contemplated the snowblower hitch design for quite awhile before I started Kirk. Best I could invision, with arms long enough to get any hieght, seemed to me the load would have been a long ways out in front of the axle. The pivot point on loaders is normal at least mid tractor, I'm thinking for that reason.

I'm sure impressed with that rig. Especialy with those tires and no rear weight. Looks great Martin.

:DMarty, My bars came for the power co. and are 3/4"x2"x8". I think they were from a transformer or something up on a pole. If you have goobers on the back side of the holes, grind them off. Hold or clamp the bar to the back side. Use your 6013, and just weld up the hole, the weld won't stick to the copper. If you do a good weld, the back side should be flat and passable. That is amazing how yours digs!! :DExcellent Job:D I thought the same thing about his flat stock frame work. Should have used small sq. tube. But he did a good looking job, if it doesn't twist.

• 4 weeks later...
MPH been following your bucket loader and think it is great. I would like to build one for my Agco Allis 918H but was wondering if the hydrolics will hold it. I just need it a few time a year to pick up stuff in the yard. To lazy to use a wheel barrow (really need another toy) Dutch had a lift arm extension that would lift higher which looked good and simple. And there was one from citydude that used a 12 volt wench to lift the bucket but I can't seem to find that one again. any info will be appreciated johno

Running a few beads of hard surfacing rod across the cutting edge would really help to make your bucket last longer. There is also many companys that make "Pickle" that will surface harden close to file hard. The pickle would be a great idea I think maybe for all bushing and pivot areas. ( That is if you plan to disassemble to paint ) Great job there Marty. I haven't had the courage to attempt much along the lines of fabrication on that scale.. Maybe this will give me the boost to give it a go. Worst I can do is fall flat of my face..LOL