Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

3-in-1 Problem Solver Module Comments?

powerking_one

I see that Al Eden's company sells this nifty module. Has anyone used one with it's success, faults, improvements, etc? How does the electronic ignition portion function? Does it still use the points or other trigger device? The description (at least for the ignition portion) doesn't go into a lot of detail. http://www.repowereng.com/repowereng/uk-1__uni-kit.htm Tom(PK)

Very simple explaination would be ,no more points or condenser,the plug will fire every time the flywheel magnet passes the module pickup,so the plug will fire on the exhaust stroke also.Since Harley's do it ,why not.

I believe the unit is a relay so you don,t have to do a lot of rewiring when you switch from battery ignition to the newer self contained ignitions meaning you can use your original ignition switch & the relays carry any heavy load rather than the ignition switch. I use relays to lessen the load on the ignition switch on the powermax types. The only load thru the switch is ignition & to power the relays. I use 30 amp continious duty relays to feed the clutches & lights. Also when you have a balky solenoid you can use them to actuate the starter solenoid, usually eliminates the click & no go. I buy them at a good electronics store. They must be rated continious duty or the coil in them will not last. Lastly the ones I get can be used normally open or normally closed. I believe Al has these to eliminate the extra rewiring otherwise required when repowering. Stan

Gentleman, I just purchased the kit to change a 7119 with kt19 series with thrown rod to a kohler M18. Well this needed a wiring fix. I used Al Eden's kit to change the battery ignition to Magneto ignition with the relay. This did not require any new key switch or wiring harness changes. The kit had some very easy to follow instructions with excellant wiring diagrams. The kit is so complete that it had 4 different uses for the relay and many illustrations. I had a few questions about the original simplicity wiring harness, so I called Al Eden's. He was incredible in taking the time to explain the simplicity wiring diagram for the 7119. Two thumbs up for the Kit.

Al has been an unbelievable asset and resource for me in working on my Simple TrACtors. He has been more reliable and thoroughly helpful than any dealer I've been to in my area of New York, and all over the phone or by mail. I haven't used the kit but I've been 110% satisfied in every aspect of his sales and service.

quote:
Originally posted by JimBell
Al has been an unbelievable asset and resource for me in working on my Simple TrACtors.
Same here, Jim. I've spent several hours on the phone with him over the last few years. He's also been an unbelievable asset to the club and the Simple trACtors site, with his thorough, detailed explanations of electrical systems, etc. I'm going a couple hundred miles out of my way on my upcoming trip, just to meet him face to face....

Tim, Are you saying that the "ignition portion" of this module is nothing more than another relay which converts a battery coil(open circuit ignition OFF/+12V ignition ON) type system to a magneto & solid-state open circuit(RUN)/short-to-ground(KILL)type? Am I confusing you? Tom(PK)

Tom, Unless I'm mistaken the kit converts the wiring harness and keyswitch in your tractor to fit the ignition on the new Magnums. It doesn't replace the Magnum's ignition system -- only make it "compatible" with the tractor's existing wiring harness. And it's a simple "plug-in" kind of solution, not major rewiring. That's one of it's three functions. It also supports a set of remote solenoids (low power used to activate a high power circuit) for solving starter problems, operating headlights, etc. That's about all I know about it, and that's from putting the current descriptions on Al's site(s)....

Got it Kent, I was reading too much into the description of the unit. It is basically a multi-relay box. Tom (PK)