Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Successful "parts" run

GregB

Yesterday I was reading the paper at lunch. Saw an ad for a "14hp Simplicity tractor for parts with blower, tiller, and vaccuum." I called went to pick it up last night. When I got there I found a 3414S in two pieces on the garage floor. Common story, BGB blew out, he took it to the dealer who wanted ~$600 to fix it. He said that after owning it from new and it was now a second mower he did not want to fix it. Two years ago he said he had the dealer go over the Shuttle pulley system for about $400. Any how here is what I hauled home. 3414S with a good runing Briggs, I bypassed the safetys and it fired right up with no smoke at any speed :D:D:D Also has the cable and rear lift group, some working headlights, and good rear tires. A beat 42" deck good for parts. 2 vaccuum attachments, with metal deck adaptors, sorry no trailers. :( A 32" B series single belt snow thrower, he modified it to work. A good B Series round cover tiller with two extensions, very little use. Some belts, manuals and misc parts. I offered him more than he asked for but he wouldn't take it. Wanted to clean out. I paid him the $75 and hauled my "parts" home. Since it was in pieces I told the wife it was not really another tractor.:D

Real good haul. Think you out to fix that BGB for a couple hundred dollars in new parts, sell the tractor if you don't need it, make a nice profit, take the wife out to dinner, then she may like your hobbie.

I've thought about what do do with the haul. It think the Briggs, is going into my 718H to replace the hard to find parts for Kohler K361. That would make the "714H" my mowing tractor. One of the Vaccuum's will donate the mount so that I can mount the EZ Vac blower on it. One of the Vaccuum units will probably go to the Father-in-law. His is housing is wearing thin from use. He already got the 48" deck adaptor. The rear lift group and cable will probably go on the shelf. The deck is for parts. As for the rest I'm not sure. The previous owner cut off the end of the blower clutch engagement rod so he could fit it onto the 3414. He used vice grips to put the clutch in or out, had a fixed pulley on the Briggs. I have a mech clutch and the correct 42" blower so I think the "mowing tractor" will be the blowing tractor in the winter. So the modified blower is probably destined for the sale column. The tiller is probably a keeper. It is in real good shape and the double pulleys are in better shape than the one I have for my Big ten. Decisions,decisions :D On the Briggs swap idea, are there any things to watch out for? Thanks GregB

Seems I've read head here you have to rewire the tractor some because of different ign. set-up, but never done so myself. Haven't found any tractors new enough to have a Koler

As MPH said, you will need to change the ignition switch and do some rewiring. The briggs has a magneto while the Kohler uses battery ignition. May be easier to swap the wiring harness.

Rod That what I was thinking, but the Allis has an ammeter and the 3414 has just a generator light. I'll have to pull out both wiring diagrams to see if I can have both. I wonder if the dash for has wholes punched for both? I plan on starting the swap on this weekend. GregB