Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

PTO - - Bearing problem ??

puds

My 20 HP Sunstar has developed a PTO problem. When mowing, especially after about a hour of mowing, the pto will not kick in all the time. While having the wife run the pto knob, I watched the pully. The pully's are trying to start but seem to hang up. Maybe a bad bearing on the deck someplace? Thanks for any thoughts. Lee

sandyhillbill
There is a bearing on the shaft between the belts and the PTO spline where you connect the drive shaft to the mower. It has a grease fitting but is very hard to get to it. Could possibly be the problem.

I would check the gap on the PTO, It should be around .15 thousants-.20 i just replaced my electric PTO plate on mine. There are 3 different places to check it at. Hope this helps!

powerking_one
Note: 1/1000 of an inch=0.001". Fifteen to twenty (15-20)thousandths is just as it looks; 0.015-0.020". Tom(PK)

Thanks for the help guys. I adjusted clutch as you described, but now have a resulting problem. Tractor won't turn over. Is it possible to have clutch too tight. I have it adjusted so that .0018 guage just slides in between front and rear covers (plates ?).

To tight you should have .018 not .0018. .018 is 18 thousands .0018 is 18 ten thousands or 1.8 thousands you have it set at 1.8 thousands. 16.2 thousands to tight if your statement of .0018 is correct.

UCD Of course you're right. I meant .018. At .018 I notice that that the rotor@& armature no longer turn freely from the field. At .024 theey do. Would this indicate a problem with one of the above? Thanks,Lee

Thanks Guys After trying in vain to get pto clutch adjusted correctly, I finally took back to dealer where I bought it used a few months ago and heard that I was up barking up the wrong alley. We'll after guidance from you members, I stuck to my guns and picked mower up this morning, with a new clutch installed at no charge. That $10.00 membership fee just saved me about $200.00. Wish all my investments were that wise. Thanks again,Lee