Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Help, KT17 dead

cwm1276

I am new this tractor have been using it a couple times a week for mowing and tilling. This afternoon I was mowing with it and started to hear a hammering sound from it and promptly shut it down. Now it won't even try to start. Clues: The headlights still function and there is a yellowish white goo around the positive terminal of the battery. What should I do?

The "yellowish, white goo" sounds like electrolyte or corrosion from the battery. Possible broken positive terminal on battery, causing a leak. Try cleaning cables and terminals. Was the hammering sound coming from the engine itself? Could be a possible connecting rod getting ready to break. I would have to hear the sound for myself though. What weight motor oil are you using in this engine? Maybe some of this would help shed some light on the problem.

The hammering sound wasn't real deep but deeper than a tinny sound. I check the battery more now that it has cooled off and I can check it out more. I am not sure of Oil as I just got it a month ago and have not changed it yet.

More clues hopefully, 1. I cleaned the batery terminals could not find a crack around the positive terminal and by holding hte terminal I could move the the entire battery not feeling loosing in any way. 2. I could turn the BGB and feel the engire turning over. 3. When trying to start it the Amp gauge does show a draw, but I get no clicks or anything near the engine.

Possibly a solenoid problem? An A-C 917 that I used to have had a similar starting problem like yours. I replaced the solenoid and circuit breaker, still did not fix it. After pulling my hair out I found out the Amp gauge was actually bad. Replaced that and never had an ounce of trouble after that. As far as that "hammering" sound goes, I would change the oil. And go with 10W-30 or SAE 30. I used 10W-30 in my A-C 917 for years. Never had no problems.

Is this a KT17 or a KT17 Series II? The original KT17 had some problems with sufficient oil uptake, so they added an oil pump on the Series II. Do a search, especially in the archives, for KT17. I remember there was a discussion once about the downfalls of the original KT17 and why they introduced the Series II. It seems to me that it was something about the original KT17 would not get proper lubrication when going uphill or something like that. Anyway, lubrication on any engine, but especially the original KT17, is critical. The KT17 Series II is supposed to use only SAE 30 oil in the warmer months. You can go to 10W-30 in the dead of winter. A hammering sound would concern me that there is a serious mechanical problem with the engine. However, I have solved electrical starting problems by simply cleaning ALL of the electrical connections with emory cloth and reattaching them with some dielectric grease applied. Make sure the battery terminals, the connections at the circuit breaker, the connections at the ignition switch, the ground to the engine, etc. are all nice and shiny. Any little current leak can cause a starting problem. Also, you should be able to go to the Kohler website and download a copy of your service manual. I have found that to be very helpful with my KT17 Series II. Good luck!

Pretty sure an original KT17. I am picking up oil today and going to change that. Otherwise it is going to the shop. When you try to start it the amp gauge does show a draw, but no sounds at all out of the motor.

With the sparkplug wires removed, Try turning the engine by hand. It should be smooth and you should feel compression 2 times in 2 rotations.. Not wishing you any bad luck But I seem to remember a KT with the starter knocked loose from a thrown rod...( Maybe it was another twin.. Good luck !

That's it, it is going to the shop. I ran it too low on Oil. I was draining it today and I got maybe quarter of a quart out of it. So the next question is how much is this going to cost me? Stats on the Engine KT17S Spec: 24343 Serial Number: 14210343 Checking the Kohler manual it is a 1984 model series II. Thanks Guys for all your help Carl

A lot depends on what actually happened,and what the shop charges for labor. My wifes grampa had an old Evinrude outboard he was using one day,when it started to rattle.He shut it down immediately.When he took it apart later,he found a rod bolt had come loose,but fortunately did no damage,because he stopped it immediately.Maybe you'll be that lucky!8)

I recently had some pretty heavy oil usage on my KT17 Series II. Check to make sure the fuel pump is tight on the engine and has a gasket. Also, check the oil seals. I was leaking oil over a long period of time from the fuel pump. When the oil seal went, I lost a lot of oil pretty fast. Check to see if there is a lot of oil coming from the shaft that sticks out of the engine at the front of the tractor. That seal blew out on me and is really easy to replace.

Well, tried one last time to tighten the battery terminals and then I got it fire, but with a loud hammering sound. So I am still going to take it to the shop.