Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jlasater

Box scraper project

jlasater
Picked up the steel for my 48" box scraper project. Boy, steel is getting damn expensive vs. just a few years ago. Pictures are at http://www.ttyr2.com/boxscraper/index.html

jlasater
Added a couple photos of what the top "three-point" hitch will look like. The top link will be out of 1" solid bar stock, with one end turned to fit the lift tube on the back of the tractor.

jlasater
It's a Millermatic 175/220VAC unit. Pretty happy with it, but will upgrade to a 251 when I have the means. http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/millermatic_175/

jlasater
Posted four more pictures. Most of the major fabrication is done. Still need to turn the piece of 1" bar stock to be square on one end at the pivot point, and round to fit in the tractor lift. Also need to build the lower connection points. I had planned on using three square steel tubes and have the lower connection points between two of them but am thinking that'd be overkill. Added two blade stays to connect the cutting force directly to the front tube. Once it's working properly, I figure I'll get it sandblasted by a local shop before paint, just so it's purty.

JoeJ
Kirk, Jeremy, Thanks, That's what I don't want to do, is get one then want to upgrade right away. It will be a 220 Miller or Hobart, that much I know. But my big, gas powered Hobart has to be sold first. Your project is looking better every time you up date your picture page. Can't wait to see it orange and full of dirt!!

jlasater
Posted six more pictures. The construction is all finished, just have minor detail work, rounding off corners, grinding off weld spatter, and eventually AC orange paint. Building this was a very satisfying project. I'm very happy with my Miller 175, but I've used 251's before and just liked them very much. There realistically isn't much I can't build with this 175. I wouldn't let the fact that other folks want to upgrade keep you from buying a smaller unit like mine. [img]http://www.ttyr2.com/boxscraper/boxscraper13.jpg[/img]

jlasater
This link might be a little easier on dialup users. It has thumbnails of the pictures which you can click to view larger versions. http://www.wheatfarm.com/boxscraper/index.html

JoeJ
Jeremy, Thanks for the tips on the welder. I really hate to let my Hobart go, but is time to down-size and move along. The smoke from running 7018 would most likely finish me off. Did you end up adding any form of cutting edge on your scraper? I would sure think it would be a good idea??

jlasater
I'm not sure on a cutting edge yet. For as infrequently as I'll use the scraper, the plain steel edge will last a long time. At the end of summer, I'll have a look and see how much it's getting worn down. When the fab shop bent the blade angle, they didn't do it at 45deg either, more like 20deg or so. So if I add a cutting edge, it'll probably have a bend in it to give me the 45deg cut I'm looking for. As/is, it works great for moving around gravel and dirt tho. I wonder if you could get a wire-feed unit from Miller and run it off your Hobart, using the Hobart as the power source. Maybe something like this: http://www.millerwelds.com/products/wire_feeders/3045_fc/ You'd have the duty cycle of your Hobart as opposed to the lower rating for the MIG machine I have.

JoeJ
Jeremy, I thought about that too. But it's another engine to maintain and gas is going through the roof. Personally I'm not all that worried about 100% duty cycle at this point. I'm out of business and only looking to do my own stuff, well, I couldn't turn down cash for small jobs:D. But not looking to rebuild a 988 bucket any more. The Titan 8 combo is set up for mig, with CC and CV, but never used it.

JoeJ
Jeremy, I thought about that too. But it's another engine to maintain and gas is going through the roof. Personally I'm not all that worried about 100% duty cycle at this point. I'm out of business and only looking to do my own stuff, well, I couldn't turn down cash for small jobs:D. But not looking to rebuild a 988 bucket any more. The Titan 8 combo is set up for mig, with CC and CV, but never used it. BTW, I hadn't been to your web site in a while I guess. It is awsome with the thumb-nail pages!!

jlasater
The 175/210/251 are all single phase, the 251 might be available in three phase, I dunno. Yeah...when I was building the blade, I was seriously questioning if it was gonna pull the front of the tractor off the ground, but the electric lift handles it no problem.