Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
hufhouse

Grass Screen on 7117

hufhouse
Hey, 7117 owners: How do you clean the grass screen on the engine? My fat hand just fits between the engine and battery/gas tank and I can't get the screen clean. The only thing I can figure out is to remove the mower deck and get to it from underneath the mower, which seems like a hassle for something that ought to be done just about every time you mow. Any good ideas?

hufhouse
I'm not sure compressed air would work, because the grass becomes matted down in the holes. When I squeeze my hand down in there, I have to pinch it and pull it out. I have been blowing the tractor and engine off with a gas leaf blower after each use, but the grass that gets stuck in that screen is very stubborn. The idea of the skinny nozzle on a shop vac sounds interesting. If I could even make something that could fit down in there (about 2" of clearance) that has a lot of suction, that could work. I'm going to have to think about that one! I was also thinking about trying to find a very thin brush with a long handle that I could fit down in there. If I did that first, then used a vacuum, that would really clean it up. When the screen is matted, the engine overheats. When this area becomes plugged, it becomes obvious that the engine is getting too hot because it starts to use a little oil and it starts to backfire when I turn it off. When the engine and screen are clean, I use NO oil and I only have to slow the engine down for a few seconds before turning it off to avoid backfire (often referred to as brown-seat syndrome. [:0]) Any other ideas would be appreciated, because I really need to find a long-term solution to this.