Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric Allis-Chalmers Garden tractor???

williamjordan

williamjordan
A friend of mine at work has told me that while he was at a farm picking up some old combines last year, the farmer had a line up of tractors in the back feild. He went through them and saw what he says is an electric Allis-Chalmers garden tractor. Now has anyone ever seen of herd of such thing?? He says that it looks like where the engine should be is a place for a battery of some sort. I'm thinking if this is true, could it be an after market thing?? Thats all he remembers of it because at that time he wasnt interested in the tractors, just the combines. He is trying to get ahold of the farmer agin to see if we can come out and look at the tractors again and maybe haul them away for him. It will sure be neat if its true and I can get it! But who knows what it could be... William Jordan

General Electric made a few elec. lawn tractors at one time called the Electrac. I had one many years ago that got flooded and the guy gave it too me to play with. Surpriseingly nice mower. I saw one sitting in a pile of stuff a few weeks ago in the way back from Detroit and grabbed a pic of what was left. This is the only electric lawn tractor I've ever heard of.

Possibly It had AC decals put on? Or he saw it was yellow like the one Dave just posted and assumed it was an AC? My neighbor told me once where there was a Simplicity sitting in the weeds at a job he was doing because it was red orange and it turned out to be a faded Red MTD.

10HorseMan
I have no records of A-C building a Electric Garden Tractor. Although they did build one Farm Tractor"Now located in the Smithsonian" became known as the first fuel cell tractor. It pulled 2 bottom plows in West Allis Wisconsin. :D

goatfarmer
GE also made electric tractors with the Sears name on them.They were also gold colored.

DonNewberry
There was one electric garden tractor made that was called the elec-trak. It was the same color as my b112. There's a web site that covers them www.Elec-trak.org. I found an article on one in Home Power magazine issue 96. Someone had connected one to a solar panel to charge it. The way gas prices are going we may be converting our simple tractors, or more likely, building stills for alcohol. Don

If you happen to acquire it let me know..i have the snow thrower for it! Its sitting in my pole shed and needs a new home!

I was recalling the same thing as Dave, General Electric built the electric garden tractors. If I remember correctly, GE also was building them for a time for New Idea Farm Equipment. The front of these GE tractors, sort of resemble the A-C B110's and similar models. He may have been mixing it up with them. The color also resembles the color of the A-C Lawn and Garden line of the 1960's and early 70's.

williamjordan
I guess it will take some time before I find out. But when I do, I'll let you all know thats for sure. :) Time will tell lol

I have two ElecTracs. One is the E15 and the other E12S. I have mower decks and one dozer blade. When they work they're great. When they don't you need to be an electrical engineer. If you think points and condensers can be troublesome, try working on an ElecTrac.

williamjordan
I guess it will take some time before I find out. But when I do, I'll let you all know thats for sure. :) Time will tell lol