Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine replacement for 7117 KT17

cwm1276

OK, took the tractor in to have it checked out, he says up rod problems in the KT17 II. Probably $500 to fix the rod and reshape the crank. He suggested a KT17 from a Deere he has, or a new engine. I prefer the new engine route. He had catalog prices for a 18HP briggs Vangaurd 35077 for $800 or a Kohler Command CH18ST for $700. I am also considering Al Eden's repower Kit, since it should bolt right it. Looking some advice on what route I should go on the new engine. Thanks Guys Carl

Al's the 'Hot setup' from what I've read & heard. I'm sure those who have done this will 'pipe in'. JP

I think I would go with Al Eden's Repower Kit. It has everything you need to repower that tractor. Make sure you get the "Commmand" engine not the "Triad". The "Triads" have a oil leak history and they also have a timing belt on them for the overhead cam that they use. The Kohler "Command" Kit is alittle more than the "Triad", but well worth it. Just my 2-cents worth!:D

I have a Command in my Sovereign with Al Eden's kit. Works grear! The command and Al's kit replaced the OHC Triad engine that failed at 105 hours due to oil leaks, worn fuel pump cam, and worn timing belt gears. My experience.

I have Al Eden's page already in my "favorites" for the day when my 7117 crawls over to the side of the yard and dies. Here's the URL: [url]http://www.repowereng.com/repowereng/repower_kits.htm[/url]

Not only that, he has his kits qualified so if there is a legit warranty problem, the engine people can't point a finger at him. The extra mile.

I will be calling Edens monday morning, seems like the kit would be no-brainer. His site has the triad listed with the kit, I just want to put an engine in it that should be good for a long time. I have get back to my repair guy as he will drop the new engine in for me, but I will soon listing 2 big tens for him, both in near running condition. One has a sickle on it. Also I might be listing a simplicity trailer and 36" tiller if I don't buy the tiller and trailer first. Carl

Talked to Al Edens he sohuld be shipping the Kit and engine out today. New Kohler Command 18HP.

It is teaching me to check my oil more often. It least I should now be set for a while.