Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Desperate Transmission Help Needed

buckeye_in_wy

I replaced my AC B-110 tranny and installed new seals in accordance with the overhaul manual. The problem is that when I run the tractor in any gear the axle collar (right side) that attaches to the rear axle moves outboard allowing the wheel hub assembly to loose contact with the differential. I installed new set screws in the axle collar but it still 'walks' out. Once walked out, I push it back to the garage. Below is a picture of the collar attached to the shaft. The collar does not mate flush with the shaft, there is about a 1/8" difference but I still have 100% set screw contact with the shaft. Is the right wheel hub assembly kept in place with just these two axle collar set screws? I am at a loss as to what is going on. Here is a picture of the assembled axle prior to putting in motion. This is a picture view of the situation after a brief spin and subsequent push back into the garage.Here is an image looking down onto the inboard side of the hub assembly, notice the gap between the hub and differential render no drive capability. Finally this is a picture of the axle collar and washer with the picture of the shaft without them. I would sure appreciate any help, I am just at a loss as to why this collar continues to move outboard. Did I miss something? Thanks in advance....Jon

If there is any grease on the spot where the set screw goes, i'd wipe it off and tighten it really tight. Never had this problem with mine, they always seem to stay on.

Can't see the pics but wonder if you have the right set screws ? The correct type will have a dished out place in the end and will be hard to scratch with a file. This is so they can "Bite" into the axle for a hold... A grade 5 or so won't make a dent...

Looks like the shaft collar is slipping allowing the hub to move outward. There shouldn't that much outward thrust on the hub to make the collar slip. Check the gears on the hub and in the planetary to make sure they arent worn into an angular shape causing outward thrust under power. Also check to make sure the set screws on the collar are biting into the shaft and are tight.

Jon Please read Post at top of every forum for uploading/posting pictures and fixing the dreaded red X and diskette problem. It is alot easier for you guys to fix your own pictures than me doing it.

If the B-110 is set up like my b-112 the problem could be on the left side of the axle shaft. There's a collar on the left axle tube that keeps the axle from moving over to the right. Just a guess. Don

Did you install the retaining ring on the axle that fits on the inside of the differential. This retainer along with the outside retaining ring and set screws is what holds the differential in place. It sounds like the retainer is not installed. If the retaining ring is missing, it will allow laterial (to the left) movement of the axle which would push against the collar. With the inside split ring retainer in place, the axle should not move.

• 5 weeks later...
Simple Tractors, Hey, I think I might have gotten it. I pulled the left wheel outboard as much as possible and respositioned the left axle collar inboard as much as possible butting up against the axle tube. A mow later and I am still mobile. Would you agree the right differential is butted up against the snap ring? As show in the above pictures? This is how it is now once I pulled the left wheel outboard as stated above. Thanks sincerely for all the replies and help.....