Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Replacement engine site

Hoss

A while back someone had a website that had retro engine replacement kits for Simplicitys, Deere and Cub. I have a customer with a Cub that sports a 19 hp Onan with a broken rod and such. I talked to my local engine overhauler who suggested due to prices I should have him replace the Onan. As all the talk here is Simplicitys and AC with Onan get the engine swap as well. I did not see anything on Small Engine Warehouse for kits but I know I was at the website through someones link here. Do any of you members know that web site?

I think you are talking about al eden's site. Not sure about Cubs though. Here is his site http://www.repowereng.com/

I am ordering a Kit from Edens today, Al has been very friendly and great to work with. Again not sure about the Cub, but if anyone should know it would be them.

Yes, that is the site I was referring to. I have E-Mailed them,hopefully I get a responce. Thank you guys!

If your in a hurry ,you might try calling Edens ,i got all the info i needed in about 5 min.

Hi, Thanks for all of the kind words, I hope I don't disappoint you. Regarding the Cubs. I have gathered quite a bit of info and done some measuring on the 682, 782 and 982 Cubs. These tractors are in our headlights. I have had a "wrench" gone from the shop for about 6 weeks this Spring and this has slowed my progress on getting the paperwork and drawings and cnc programs / drawings for the parts we need to produce the JD400 kit made. We are getting ready to address the JD 318, 317 and the rest of the 300 family. We are also cleaning up some stuff to release a Sim, 5000 / 6000 kit for the Briggs twins that Briggs is ending short block production, also the Regents that have engines Briggs is discontinuing. Also the 4000 family. The Cubs will slide in a little later. We have looked at the Cubs and THINK we know how we will try to address the cooling problems, but until the hot room tests are passed, it will be THINK. That is always a relief when we pass. If we don't certify these kits, and there are engine failures the engine manufacturer may refuse to warranty them if heat recirculation inadequate ducting etc ppears to be a factor. When a manufacturer does a new tractor or changes an engine or any sheet metal, even sometimes a muffler or an exhaust system etc, they have to certify or recertify the temperature tests. Once it has been certified, it can be sold anywhere in the world with out the OEM [or kit] manufacturer having to absorb warranty failures because of cooling issues instead of the engine manufacturer absorbing them. Once the tractor is set up on the dyno, a rep from Kohler comes and does all of the neasuring and the dyno loading. They then evaluate all of the measurements and if all pass forward the datat sheets to the factory to certify the application. We are a small company and cannot afford the risk of having to pay for failed engines due to inadequate application designs in our kits, this is why we are so careful about these issues. Another area that is sensitive is the muffler used. We have to perform some muffler back pressure tests along with the temp tests. They are done simultaneously. Wrong back pressure will throw the emmissions out and since we fall under the same rules as an OEM COULD result in a fine of up to 10,000.00 by the EPA for each instance. When we temp test we have to measure head temp at the base of the spark plugs, oil temp at the input to the oil pump, not at the drain plug or near the crankcase walls, cooling air temp at the cooling fan input 12, 3, 6, and 9 oclock locations with the thermocouple located 1/2" back from the screen. Also the fuel in the carb float bowl and the venturi air temp. Bottom of the hood temps, to meet consumer burn safety standards and look for temp return paths and mesure muffler back pressure through the whole test. The tests are done on a dyno in a condtrolled temp hot room. Normally the desired room temp is 110 degress. However a 90 degree room may be used and Kohler can "correct" the numbers to what 110 room would be. The temp run takes at least 3 hours of continuous running from no load to absolute full load, each stage lasting about one hr. Then while running at full load at the end of the temp run the key is switched off and left off until the fuel in the float bowl temp plateaus, at this point the rep turns the key and times the time to restart. Cannot be more than 5 seconds, or its back to the drawing board. Anyway, doing one of these with a new application is not just a quick job. Doing the prototype and getting it running is about 10 % of the time it takes to finish a kit. Nuff said. One other thing. I just got high speed internet, but am unable to get mail from more than 2 of my mail boxes. One has 11 e-mails and even my old service company can't help me get them out. So if you e-mailed me and I didn't answer, call me at 1-800-462-2218 and I'll try to answer your questions. Thanks again. Al Eden

goatfarmer
WOW! Thats pretty involved,Al.I wouldn't have thought of half of those things. It's guys like you that keep all these old tractors alive and well.Keep up the great work!