Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

question about 7016 mower blades

Hi, Mulching involves adding baffles and controling the airflow. I don't think the deep decks work very successfully for mulching. Seems to me that question was asked at service school and the answer was along these lines. Mulchers do not mow as fast as regular mowers and when mulching you should never cut over an inch off the grass when you mow. Good luck, Al

why doesn't Simplicity or any aftermarket blade mfr make mulching blades for the 48" deck that goes on my 7016? There are times when I'd rather not make hay, but would rather chop up the effluent into the tiniest bits possible. Is it a clearance problem, or am I just not asking the right person the right question?

I think there is more to mulching than just the blades, I believe the deck design has more to do with it. It appears that most decks 48" and over on alot of the modern tractors don't offer mulching as an option. Just my humble opinion. Good luck, Mikey

I've heard good reports (both here and elsewhere) on "Gator Blades" which are available for the 48" deck. They have sharp serrations on the upturned "wing" that supposedly cut the clippings again before they're deposited. I'm planning on replacing my OEM blades with those on my 42" deck.... Another key point is that with mulchers, you CAN NOT mow tall grass very well. They'll clog and leave a mess on the lawn. You're supposed to mow regularly, and not take off more than 1/3 of the height of the grass -- with mulching mowers you're almost forced to. I have a Snapper self-propelled "Pro" walk-behind for my trim mower and it leaves an absolute mess if I try mowing 4"-6" grass. Thank goodness, it can bag also. My 2 cents.... Kent

Well I do three things to keep from making hay and it works; 1. Always have sharp blades 2. Mow once a week 3. Discharge the cut grass onto the uncut grass. Don't do this if you cutting tall grass and have alot of discharge. Tim

thx all. I do tend to wait a bit between mowings, and am often taking quite a bit off. I don't go more than about 1.5 weeks between mowings, but the grass is pretty thick in spots, hence my problem. I can blow the cut grass on the uncut grass for a few passes, but generally no more than that or the mower bogs down. I kind of have to blow it out over the cut portion. I was thinking that if I used mulching blades that I'd be able to reduce the effluent to the point that it didn't look like someone ought to be following me with a baler. Looks like I was wrong. I'll just have to get off work sooner and try to cut during the week. I didn't realize that one needed some special baffles for the mulching blades to do their trick; nor did I realize that mulching wouldn't work well with a deep deck (probably the very reason why it handles the tall heavy grass to begin with.) My blades may also be unduly nicked up; pieces of quartz seem to leap out of the ground and strike sharpened portion with unerring accuracy. Perhaps it's time again to visit the grinder and attempt to set fire to the block wall in the basement. I will try to mow more frequently, and I will also resharpen the blades and see what good I can do after that. Thanks again for the help.