Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Attachment storage..

wantedinct

I'm starting to build up quite an arsenal of attachments,and i find myself running out of room on the garage floor, i was wondering how other people store there stuff. I've been thinking about making shelving,but some of this stuff is a little heavy to pick up.

I had a similar thought. I was considering making a rack out of steel with horizontal steel arms. The idea would be to be able to store at least 4 or more attachments on top of each other on their own shelf ( arms ). I would probably invest in getting some heavy duty casters to put on the bottom so I could move it. I would put the heavier stuff on the bottom such as a tiller, plows toward the top etc.. Just my thoughts, Al

I have heavy duty steel shelving that I bought from a hardware store chain that went out of business a couple of years ago. The shelving was actually part of the store. It is real heavy duty with adjustable shelves. I bought 48 linear feet in 4 foot long by 5 ft high sections, they can connect or stand alone and each shelf is rated at around 400 lbs. All with peg board backing. It makes for great storage and organization especially when restoring tractors or when floor space is limited. I paid only 60.00 cash to the guy doing the liquidation and with the price of steel/lumber now it makes great sense plus no time to assemble. Anyway look around for store closings (I still do) because he told me if it isn't sold it just goes to scrap.

How about those pulley systems that they use for ceiling storage? With the heavier pieces you might need some mechanical advantage( block/tackle system) but you might not need to go to the ceiling with them. Maybe just elevate them 6 or 8 ft up a wall?

Need shelves and a forklift attachment. Or, a long leanto shed deep enough for one attachment so you can back in too each one to hook up.

I don't know if I would do the pulley thing. With my luck, a mouse would chew through the rope and just finish his meal as I was waling under the tool. I am planning on building a rack, wood and narrow pallets. I have a Big Joe lift truck which will be used to move things up and down. It is also handy for lifting tractors to get them at my "working height".

Right now my attachments are under a heavy tarp,behind the fence.Not the best arrangement,but working for now...

[img]/club2/attach/jj marshall/000_0165.jpg[/img] this trailer is what i keep most of my small parts in.tire store gave me the rack to move it.pick up these 4 tool box here and there.mounted it all to trailer.no garage have to cover large parts. jj sorry been trying for 2 weeks to get a picture on here end up with 2 don't know how. jj

I use the " where ever there's space " system of storage but I need to get organized real soon. I have my first customer for rototilling. I need to haul it all at one time to be practical. Althou I need another project like the hole in the head that my wife misteakingly thinks I have, I like that trailer setup that JJ posted. My Mitsu is decidedly short on capacity. I need to haul the Big Ten with the plow and the tiller, gas, oil, etc., and the Troybilt Pony in case the tractor is too big to fit in some areas. If I push the Fiat off it's trailer, I'll get thru this first job. But I don't want to keep playing musical trailers so I'll start now collecting (this should drive my wife nuts!!)so I can eventually build something like JJ has.

I use a 24" overhang on the tool shed roof, and set the snowthrower down on a bed of 3/4 stone to keep the moisture from the ground away from it, and drive up to the snowthrower to hook up on the side facing southeast.

I am attempting Dutch's method. Get enough machines to "store" the attachments on then never worry about changing them. I'm up to 5 now, just need to add a full time belly grader blade tractor and weedcutter tractor yet and I'll be set.