Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

The Last RBT

MDB

Well I did it, sold my 917H to my parents, I took it down to them to used while there 3314H was down with engine trouble. They liked it so well that they bought it.

This was part of the deal....

A late 725 with a rather used up 42" bolt deck and a 10 HP Briggs RBT and Kohler free at last....;):D

So how much extra did you have to pay Them? Your 917 was a nice looking tractor, but you did trade up after all.

Good deal Mike! I still have the 17GTH-L, (I should say Eva has it and claims it as hers) but all "my" tractors are foot draggers and the more I use them the more I like them. All I need to do now is build a 14 or 16 Briggs into a B-10 frame and I'll be set. Larry kg4zar

Boy, your Mom and Dad got the better part of that deal. Next you'll be telling us you don't plow anymore. Name; witheld by request

Marty, Everone came away happy in the deal and I do agree that it was a trade up....:D Larry, Now that I don't have the 917 I am thinking about putting a 16 HP Briggs in my 3212H, that would be a real workhorse. Mel, What is a plow? and what is it used for?......;):D Jon, No, I kept the snow blower for now.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
It's too bad all your tractors with guts are gone;)
Too bad that your only tractor with an engine is gone....;)

maxtorman1234
If you concider those thins engines, You gotta be kidding;) If A/C used both, they gotta be good, But since they switched TO Kohler, That must indicate something,;)

Graham You forget that A/C is Simplicity. At least Briggs are not made by someone whose main products are TOILETS AKA :D:DITTERS

JJ MARSHALL
if there a penalty in these topic for low blowns i think someone got one coming. jj

In a perfect world, foot draggers would have nice easy engine access and less pto belts like on my RBT but its not a perfect world, so for the jobs where I need guts like plowing and grading, the B110 is perfect. For when I'm cutting grass, the 3410 is great.

Graham. If you think briggs and FDTs lack guts you ought to think about Daddycat's rock moving project in which he used a 725 and you know how little horsepower that tractor has. Or take a look at this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32512 Any tractor that can plow like that certainly has guts. And yeah allis stopped using briggs for 300 series and so on but Simplicity still used some cast iron briggs in the 7000 series.

maxtorman1234
Kohlers have been good to me, Briggs are just annoying. My 725 plowed fine, And so does my 10HP smoking Kohler with bad blowby. But, if you want a tractor with real guts, that's the 917.The briggs was alright when it ran, it is just a pain to work on. Its alot easier to work on the RBT's with KOhlers. Alot less work when you have to switch carb's, pull engines, ect.. I personally dont think it matters if these engines are main products or not, theyre great engines, and i like them. The only briggs i had was 40+ years old, and so was the tractor. I'm thinking a nice 12 or something wouldnt be bad in my 310, But i cant find any cast iron briggs around here, and i hear parts are getting hard to find. The 725 was a bit old for me, and i doubt it would do what i need. I wouldnt mind trying one in my 310 if i found one though.

maxtorman1234
quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
Graham. If you think briggs and FDTs lack guts...
I just think that certain FDT lacks guts, And i think its a bit odd looking too, Didnt really like that one. Maybe a newer engine would be better to work on.

thedaddycat
I think you're all way off base when talking Briggs or Kohler for guts. Just ask UCD what he has and how much "Guts" it has when measured side by side with either of the other two. Hard to match that diesel, unless like Dutch's pal Dipstick you decide to use gasoline in it.......... That said, I prefer Briggs myself........

Graham I have to say I have a Kohler 17hp and two Briggs(3012 12hp and Big Ten 10hp) and as good as the Kohler may be, I much prefer Briggs. They have more brute power(low end torque) and seem to have less problems, not to mention a lot easier to work on. Anyway, to each their own. Larry

maxtorman1234
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I think you're all way off base when talking Briggs or Kohler for guts. Just ask UCD what he has and how much "Guts" it has when measured side by side with either of the other two. Hard to match that diesel, unless like Dutch's pal Dipstick you decide to use gasoline in it.......... That said, I prefer Briggs myself........
I think they're probably alright, but the 7790 was outpulled a few times by a 917 with a Kohler M20 http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/2001_tractor_pulling.htm

thedaddycat
quote:
I think they're probably alright, but the 7790 was outpulled a few times by a 917 with a Kohler M20
and the Red Sox have won the World Series before too....... That doesn't make them a better baseball team than their hated nemesis, the Yankees....... GO TIGERS!!! LOL