Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

why 2 fuel outlets on allis 620 gas tank

wilburn

can someone tell me why the gas tank on my 620 has a place for 2 fuel hoses? it only has one hooked up going to the fuel pump an then up to the carb, another prob, i am haveing is when i am mowing it starts to flood out on me .i can turn off the mowing deck an it will finaly clear up an run good for a while.could it be because i only have one fuel line hooked up from the tank? thanks for any information anyone can give me.

some sort of vent/fuel return setup? I'm not familiar with the larger tractor series.

One is the fuel pickup tube and the other one (much shorter) is for the fuel return line. Your Onan should have a tee at the carb allowing gas to flow into the carb and the excess back into the tank.

schaefer72
hi - i believe gretsch is correct - i have 3 powermax tractors and i remember i being the return for extra gas back to the tank - see ya

If I recall correctly, the one farest to the left is the pick-up line. It has a tube going almost to the bottom of the tank inside.

thanks guys thats what i was thinking .but better to be safe than sorry.man this site is great.it has helped me so much in getting the 620 going.talk yall later bye

I just went thru this exact same problem with the Onan on my Case 446 after it sitting in the barn for three years. After I got it running again, I had adjusted the carb to where it was running well. After using it a couple of times, I noticed the exact same symptoms with it. As soon as a load was put on the engine and the governor would begin to open the throttle, I noticed it would begin to run rough, lose power, and black smoke would begin to puff out of the stacks. I wound up re-adjusting the carb so that it was leaner on the main mixture screw and the problem is gone. in my case, I believe it might have had some junk in the main jet that was restricting it slightly, so that when I first got it running and adjusted the carb, It ran fine, but as soon as the gunk worked it's way out of the jet, it was suddenly too rich. Has this tractor been sitting for a while?

just hooked up my return fuel line.knock on wood it is running a lot better now.mowed a little an did not load up an flood.will put it to the test next time i mow.