Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Transplant the Briggs or the Hydro?

GregB

Trying to decide which path to take. Do I transplant the 14hp Briggs, with wiring harness and switch etc. into the Allis that has the Kohler 18hp K361 with a hydro? Or do I swap the BGB and Early Sundstrand into the 3414S I just picked up? The other option would be to replace the BGB on the 3414, and see how I like the shuttle shift. The previous owner said he spent ~$400 at the dealer two years ago to rebuild the shuttle pulley system. I have a spare BGB for the 716-6 speed. The parts lists for the 716-6 and 3414S call out the same replacement cross shaft. I could swap this box in, but unfortunately the entire cone clutch assembly and linkage is gone and so is the drive pully that goes on the BGB. More parts to find. Does anyone have any opinions as to the direction I should proceed? What ever I don’t end up using will end up in the Classifieds or E-bay. I am trying to work down my collection and free up some space. GregB

Personally, I would replace the BGB in the 3414 then find a replacement engine for the Allis. Having two of these old tractors around is nice when one of them acts up. Which is why I am getting a second one up and running.

Is there something wrong with the K361, or are you just wanting to swap based on its reputation? I have a 7018H and love the engine. Never caused me any problems. DaveM

I have two K361's. The one that came in the "auction find Allis 718" has loose valve guides causing it to smoke badly. I have a newer head being shipped to me right now. Hopefully the cylinder and rings are not also causing a smoking problem. On the other K361 the goveror is not working, I suspect the governor shaft tang is broken off, the part is NLA. And to get this part out you basically need to strip the engine to a bare block. My intention right now is just to get a mowing tractor put together, so that I don't have to keep moving the deck on and off the 716-6. I like to use that tractor with the Johnny bucket, and rear grader blade, etc.

JJ MARSHALL
with that many options greg i get the feeling that you hae already made up your mind.but there nothing wrong with finding out how many people look at all of those options the same as you. YOU'RE GOING TO LIKE THAT HYDRO. that one way i would go. don't know about others. jj

Well last night I put all the "parts" side by side. The BGB I have is not the one for a 716-6 or the shuttle. So that options out. The option of swapping the BGB and hydro into the 3414 frame is out also. The 3414 frame is only drilled and bushed for the shuttle lever. It doesn't have the hole lower where the hydro lever is mounted on the 718H. Looks like I'll be starting a motor, wiring harness swap this weekend. GregB