Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What might grow??

MPH

With 172 lbs of wts on my dinkie little ag fab disc I managered to get my property line trail pretty well dug up. Several trips over it with the railroad spike harrow pulled a lot of the roots out, sooo now I'm wondering what will grow in pretty acid soil, perferable a legume. I know there used to be a few guys planted wild game patches so hoping someone has some ideas..thanks.

I probably would go with alfalfa. It is a perennial flowering plant with a life span of 5-12 years. It has a very deep rooting sytem, about 4 meters. It very resilient. Seeding is 10-15 lbs. per acre and will have to be sown with a nurse crop, like oats. It will produce about 4 tons per acre with 3-4 cuts per year. Hopefully you have some honeybees up there because alfalfa needs pollinators.

Just got rid of the trees last year,

and alfalfa normally does't do well in our shallow soil. Been told its because the tap root gets sheared off by frost heave, though I do have a few patches around the yard that been there sveral years.

How about Goats Rue? Will feed your bird population and keep the bugs away. Quail really seem to like it. Do you see many bears?

With your short growing season I think I'd give Buckwheat a try. My former hunting club soil was acidic and the buckwheat did well but the deer cleaned out about 3 acres in the week after it flowered...( Also a very short cycle of 6 weeks from plant to harvest.. Let me know how it turns out if you do try it..But giving the climate diff between NC and AK, I'd try quite a few things the first year.. BTW, Quail and doves love it also...

What is Goats Rue? Never heard of it. Don't have any Quail around here but the spruce tree chickens, robins and tweety birds might like it. Haven't seen a bear in the yard for about 20 years, he forgot to leave. Have used buckwheat for green manure crop in the garden, but I've limed it over the years and it could actually be called top soil instead of dirt. Wildflowers would be cool, that way my son could bring his bees up from New Mex. downtown Albq., no less. Thanks guys, if I get it planted I'll post a pic when it turns green

Hairy Vetch. It the most cold tolerant of all the vetches, is a legume, tolerates a wide range of soil and will be great for nitrogen fixation. Marty, what do you do with all the ash from burning that wood all winter long? It's affects are the same as lime in soil. Spread it over that acidic ground.

Billy Jack, my wood stove ashes get used up by the end of March when I walk through the snow spreading them on the garden and lawn to get the sun activated and get to melting the snow. My yard generrally is snow free 3 weeks ahead of most. Thanks for the link Ryan, lots of ideas on there.