Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Les

Bevel Box Change out

Les
I am in the process of changing out bevel boxes on the 7016. Which side plate should I take loose? Can anyone help me with the proper procedure? I could really use some good luck for a change. Have 5 tractors only two are running, and the variable speed on the old B-112 looks like it is finally giving up, after only 33 years of constant service too! Except for the bevel box and the variable speed, everything else is engine problems. Simplicity sure does build good equipment. Thanks in advance. Les

JCS
Does LEFT & RIGHT mean sitting on the tractor? Also are ALL bevel gear boxes the same? I have a 6-speed bevel gear box out of a 7016 and I think the shaft is longer for the extra pully??? Or can I use it to fix the 718 H that I am working on?

Les, I recently rebuilt one on a 716H. I could throw another opinion into right or left side, but I rebuilt while still in back half of the tractor. BUT what I can do is FAX you many drawings, if you think they'd help. They sure helped me.

Good_Ole_JR
Yes - left and right refer to "sitting on the tractor position" and yes there are different bevel gear box assys. For repairing in the tractor with the retaining rings (older ones don't use them I found out) I like to install the assy back in from the left side - that way you don't have to deal with trying to get the retaining rings on inside the box and possibly over expanding them. If doing all the bearings it is probably best to remove the box and do it on the bench. Les - sounds like you are exchanging the entire box - so after you remove the pulley whichever side looks easier... Another point for "in the tractor" repair - check the four front mounting bolts for tightness periodically - they sometimes will loosen, causing a "jerkiness" when in motion.

dlcentral
I remove the left side.It's a bit easier.I hold the shims in place with a dab of grease when putting the box back in.,,,,Just a matter of choice I guess! dlc