Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 hood with hole like a B1?

Any ideas why a B10 might have a hole in the center of the hood as if it had a center light like a B1 had? This tractor has the original light bracket and lights with the switches on them. Any ideas?

Micheal, the B10 I just purchased off of ebay has a work light mounted in the center. There is a hole there for it. Is the hole near the front of the hood? BTW did you go after that landlord??? John

John, Yes the hole is near the front of the hood and centered. There is a weird bracket mounted on the front, I need to photograph that to figure what that was for. Good chance this machine had some implement mounted on it. I did luck out with the rear mount for a light, I already have a light mounted in the hole, next I got to wire this whole machine... Then paint. Note: The landlord hit my max on what my time is worth for non-running machines; I'm going to move up to bigger machines before I over pay for small ones. Michael G.

When I bought my early B-10, it had a hole in the front center of the hood also. It was used for a single light like the Simplicity 700's had. Originally, the B-10's did not come with this type of mounting, it used the curved bar. Also, the B-1's did not come this way either; the B-1's used 2 lights on the front, each one was mounted to a little bracket that then attached to the hoods side bolts.

Funny, my B10's steering wheel points the same way, that's gotta get fixed. You lucked out with the hub caps. The set which went on e-bay went at the cost of new ones which I believe are still available. I bid a few dollars cheaper including shipping, after the other guy out bid me... well it was better to go to my dealer. Since that's not a priority, I'm going to do other things first. Thanks. I would like to get the correct seat for this, I heard someone one related to this site makes them?...

Michael, How are you gonna plug the hole. I just scored some headlights for the b10 and will use the worklight elsewhere. What am I gonna do with that big hole. I guess leave it there. The hubcaps came with the 7114H. I did luck out that the grill was in good shape under that tank. Next time you see the B10 I will hopefully have the steering wheel turned. The new(used) lights mounted and the gas tank off of the grill. I am not going to rush into painting it though. The B112 needs it more. JC

John, I'm thinking of a bondo/fiberglass patch for the hole. I'm painting up the wheels and degreasing my B10 first. The fenders are right now a light blue for some reason and I figure to paint those first. The guy who had mine has a incorrect gas tank in the machine, so I've got to redo that. After all that, this machine should look pretty good. Michael G.

I am keeping the work light on the B10. The lights I am getting can go on the B112 JC

John, if the lights don't have the switches, they will be more original on the B112. If they have the switches, like mine, then using on the B10 would be more original. Michael G.

Bondo or fiberglass will not last patching a through hole. Within an hour of use the engine vibration will crack all your work out. You will have to wire weld a plug back in and do some file work first, keep the heat buildup low. Most shops can do this for you if you don't have a low amp welder.