Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Lawn Roller

UCD

JJ MARSHALL
i've only seen them in pictures. what is the purpose of these rollers.and whats the weigh of one of these.

I always thought they were to flatten out the bumps (mole hills!) in your yard. That's what folks around here use 'em for anyway. As far as that scraper tho, I have no idea. I've never seen that on one before.

I have one of these complete with the scraper and a tray that is on the top that I presume is to place weight like face bricks, sandbags etc. The drum can be also filled with water which provides plenty of weight. I have rolled freshly tilled areas of yard just after applying seed and it creates a very nice smooth surface where the grass grows in . The scraper keeps dirt from accumulating on the drum. Brian

Forgot to mention that they are normally used in the spring before the first mowing, shortly after the frost is all out of the ground and while it's still pretty soft.

When putting in new lawn its best to pack the dirt pretty tight and relevel any low spots. That way it doesn't settle uneven over the next few years.

JJ MARSHALL
talking about mole hill.if you put some kind of windmill or some kind of rotating device that make a vibration it will get redy of the moles.atless it did for me. jj

There was one down at the Baraboo swapmeet.Only $80 no I did not bring it home (no room in the trunk of the car) Bob

johnmonkey
I have a similar one that was made as a walk behind (with handles, not for a "walker tractor"). It has a scraper and can be filled with water. I want to place a hitch on it for my AC 710. JH

Here's what I did to one John. At 2 foot wide its a little small behind even the 725 though.

my Dad had one of these when I was growing up I remember the scraper and wondering what it was for.