Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Hi Center Problems

MPH

Decided before I took the plow off I'd plow my backyard project, kinda wishing I had left all them roots burried now. Have had this problem before and twice tonight, so took some pics and decided to ask what others do. When plowing outward both direction, when I get down to about the width of the tractor, I hi-center on the rear-end, sometime requireing jack/bar to raise one wheel, stick a 2x12 under it, then get going again. Tried plowing shallower on the last passes which helped some. Any other ideas??

Looks like fun Marty!! I did just about the same thing last week with the tiller. Thought I would run another couple pass's over the garden plot before we planted and ended up hi centered up to the rear axles and the tiller still spinning. had to dig my way out with the hand shovel. Good Luck

I plow both directions, but start in the center and work outwards. I saw the instructions for how to set up the plowing in one of the manuals for the walking tractors I believe. The section should be at least twice as long as it is wide, first pass is down the middle and then you always have one wheel on unplowed ground... http://www.simpletractors.com/Walkers/planning.htm As far as high centering, I've done that mostly during rock removal operations where I wound up on top of a rock. Push, pull, lift or drag, I have not yet found an easy way out of that one. You have essentially put the tractor up on a jack, just have to get it down off there somehow..... PS I went looking and found the link for plowing and added it.

Thats the way I plowed my buddies garden yesterday, worked well, but the 60 foot empty travel at each end was getting long towards the end. Back yard I kinda had to plow outward because of the woodpile and 6 foot deep hole on one side and the woods on the other. Don't think is an easy way outta the situation Kirk, just hoping someone found some trick to avoid it, besides a bigger tractor like SandD suggested. Plowing with the 725 is just too much fun to give up, something about the 'little tractor that could' I guess.

Well, I've had a few thoughts on this one, though it's more related to getting more height from the deck while mowing. One thought was to put some 25" tires on the rear, that would give you an extra inch of clearance. Since the OEM tires already rub on the steering linkage in a hard left, bigger tires are not an option on the front. I had given a passing thought to taking an old set of spindles and making them about an inch longer in the vertical direction, then using a spacer or something under the front axle(or adding the thrust bearings with extra washers) to get the height where it needed to be. I have not really looked too closely at it, but first thought was to cut out the bracket at the bottom of the spindle, then bend some bar stock to fit and cut it to the proper length. Another option woiuld be to cut the additional length and just weld it onto the end. You'd probably have to grind both parts to form a "V" joint so you'd get good penetration and build up of the deposited material before finishing it to dimension. Third option(relating to decks only and not really applicable here) was to cut out the adjustment bars that carry the roller shaft at the rear of the deck, and making new ones with about an inch more length at the bottom so the rollers ride lower below the blades. Adjustment range of travel should stay the same, just be an inch higher. Again, this was more a mental exercise and I have not looked into how to get the front edge of the deck up any higher...... Anyone out there who wants to take these ideas and run with them, go for it. If you want any additional input, just ask........

i took the adjust bar and rollers off deck and ground the 2 bolts loose that were tack removed bolts.replace bar and rollers and bolted them up back up. took a small screwdriver and scribe the oblong holes.took bars and rollers apart drilled a hole in the center of each oblong scribe that i had made.i went from 2 1/2 to 2 7/8. i did this before i wrote the topic.i did not know that you had a topic already about deck height. jj