Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A HELPFUL HINT FOR TRACTORS THAT SEEM TO HAVE FUEL

Good_Ole_JR

Haven't had this problem with my tractors yet, but I've had it a couple times on old VW bugs -- it is absolutely one of the hardest problem to diagnose. Also, both condensers and coils (if they have them) will sometimes start failing only when they're hot. If the engine is cold, they'll run just fine. But, when they get really hot, they'll start screwing up.... I once chased what I thought was a "fuel vapor lock" problem on a high-performance VW for weeks, trying everything I could think of, only to find it was a bad condenser... I got in the habit then of replacing the condenser (with high-quality parts) EVERY time I adjusted or changed the points.... Cheap insurance, compared to the time spent.

GOING BACK THROUGH SOME OF THE OLDER POSTINGS I NOTICED THAT SOME PEOPLE ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH TRACTORS WITH BRIGGS MOTORS APPARENTLY HAVING WHAT THEY THOUGHT WAS FUEL TROUBLE OR WHAT THEY CALL LACK OF POWER. I OWN A THIRTY YEAR OLD 3212H, A 3212V, AND AN OLD MONTGOMERY WARDS TRACTOR THAT WAS BUILT BY GILSON. IN THE PAST, I TOO HAD WHAT I THOUGHT WAS CARB TROUBLE. THE TRACTORS WOULD LOSE POWER AND CHUG ALONG AS IF THEY WERE LOADING UP ON FUEL AND CHOKING OUT. I TRIED SETTING THE FUEL MIXTURES, DISASSEMBLING THE CARBS AND BLOWING OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR,SOAKING IN CARB CLEANER.....STILL, THE TRACTOR WOULD NOT TAKE FUEL(THROTTLE UP) OR HAVE ANY POWER. FOR SOME REASON OR ANOTHER..I DECIDED TO CHECK THE POINTS. THE CONTACTS LOOKED FINE,I JUST CLEANED THEM UP A LITTLE WITH SOME EMERY CLOTH, REINSTALLED AND SET THEM. I DID THOUGH REPLACE THE CONDENSER WITH A NEW ONE.AFTER GETTING THEM INSTALLED AND SET, THE TRACTOR FIRED RIGHT UP AND WAS JUST LIKE NEW AGAIN. A FEW WEEKS LATER, ONE OF THE OTHER TRACTORS DID THE SAME THING (NO POWER...CHUG.CHUG.CHUG, WANTING TO STALL OUT AND DIE). THIS TIME I WENT TO THE TOOL BOX AND GOT A SPARE CONDENSER AND INSTALLED IT. GUESS WHAT...THE TRACTOR FIRED UP AND WAS CURED. THIS CONDENSER DEAL SNUCK UP ON ME AGAIN ABOUT TWO YEARS LATER. I WAS MOWING AND ALL OF A SUDDEN THE TRACTOR WAS STARTING TO LOSE POWER AND STARTED CHOKING OUT. I CHECKED THE FUEL, THE CARB AND ALL THE REST OF THE FUEL SYSTEM. THEN I THOUGHT.....WELL, I WONDER IF IT COULD HAVE HAPPENED AGAIN. I WENT BACK TO THE GARAGE AND GOT MY SPARE CONDENSER, REPLACED THE OLD ONE AND WAS BACK IN BUSINESS AGAIN. I GUESS THE CONDENSER BREAKING DOWN CAUSES A WEAK SPARK AND WILL NOT IGNITE THE FUEL LIKE IT SHOULD CAUSING THE ENGINE TO APPEAR TO BE HAVING A LOADING UP PROBLEM. SO....IF YOU HAVE CHECKED YOUR ENTIRE FUEL SYSTEM AND EVERYTHING SEEMS IN ORDER....CHECK YOUR POINTS AND CONDENSER. IF YOU CAN CLEAN UP THE CONTACTS..DO SO, AND REUSE THEM BUT BY ALL MEANS REPLACE THE CONDENSER. THIS WILL PROBABLY RELIEVE SOME HEADACHES WHEN IT COMES TO GETTING POWER BACK TO YOUR TRACTORS.

I have had the same problem with my 10 HP Kohler I used to have. It ran really bad and I rebuilt the carburetor and cleaned the fuel pump. It still ran the same until I installed a new condensor. Before the condensor change I noticed a bright spark between the points when the igniton fired. I figured that this is what is the power loss, sparking the points rather than the spark plug. So don't worry, this doesn't only happen to you.