Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B207 ammeter? Also need fuel tank.


JR

Recommended Posts

Well, I drug my B207 into the barn this evening to fix the tires and get it running again after setting for four years now. I'm trying to get it ready for some garden-tilling duty this year. Something I've always wondered about with this thing is the big chrome plug in the dash. I'm guessing this was for an amp gauge, correct? If this is true, judging from the size of that plug, it must've been a mighty big gauge! Where would a person find one that big these days? Also, does anybody happen to have a good gas tank for one of these little FDT's laying around? Mine is full of rust. Also, where can you find the replacement gauge-style gas caps?
Link to comment
Share on other sites

powermax_paul
John, I have a B207 with an ammeter and it is the standard 1-3/4"-2" bezel gage. How big is your plug? I don't know that much about attachments, but I didn't realize there was a tiller for a B207. Do you have one? Paul
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Standard instrument hole for that era was 2-1/16" dia. In fact still a popular hole size today. The rusty gas tank can be cleaned by partially filling it up with 'pea gravel' and then shaking the h__l out of it to loosen up the rust. B-207's to my knowledge did not have the shaft extension to drive the tiller. But I have also been known to be wrong once in a while.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Normally, you can't put a tiller on the B207, as it has (had) the Peerless rear end, instead of the Simplicity. I wound up buying this tiller from an auction a few years back, along with a set of wheels weights, a small FDT hood, and snow blade, just because they were cheap. I thought I would put the tiller on my Sovereign I had back then, but I quickly found that it wouldn't work on it. So, after a little research, I found that it was actually for the small Simplicity tractors, so I figured I would just put it on the B207. Then I found out that the B207 didn't have the right rear end to use with it. But, all wasn't lost, as I happened to have an old Homesteader 8 that I'd traded into for parts, and it just happened to have the right rear end that I needed. And since I had to pull the rear out of the B207 because it had a broken frame pivot on the front of it, it was a no-brainer to swap it over. The biggest problem was finding the hitch, and some of the belt guides and stuff that were NLA from Simplicity. Wound up having to make a couple of the guides. I also installed the wheel weights on it too. I still don't know for sure what the blade fits, or the hood, but the hood appears to be the same as the ones on the B207 and the Homesteader, but for the Simplicity version. I think the blade fits the same tractors, but I've never tried it on the B207 yet. I'll probably wind up selling the blade anyway, since I don't have any use for it.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

JJ MARSHALL
i clean 2 tank for b10 last year. got a friend that owns a hardware store i put acouple of hand full small nuts and bolts,carry them to his store and ask if i could use his paint shaker sure he said help me clamp 1 in and turn it on.it sure was noises.he ask if i would leave the other 1 he would do it for me when closed.said was to noises to do now might run off customers.it did clean them good. jj
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Paul, the plug looks to be almost 3" across. I guess I need to pop it out of there and see what the actual hole size is. I suppose it's possible that the hole isn't near as big as the plug. As far as cleaning the rust by shaking it loose, I did do that with the tank in my Case 446, but it just had light rust. The 207 has been sitting outside, and the plastic dome on top of the guage cap is broken, so I'm sure it's had a bunch of water sitting in it for the past couple of years. If it doens't have some holes in it, or at least some potential holes, I'd be really surprised.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Put a couple handfulls of sand blast media or even some bb's in the tank and strap it to the rear wheel with bungee cords and go mow the lawn. Wnen the lawn is finished the tank should be clean inside.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, I popped that chrome plug out of the dash tonight, and I took an old amp gauge and dropped it in the hole. It fits, but it is a bit loose. The plug is about 1/4" or so bigger across than the actual opening. Now I just need to find a good gauge to put in the hole! I pulled the tank out too, and it looks okay on the bottom, so I got some rust remover stuff from the hardware store and I'm going to dump it in with some swag lamp chain. We'll see what happens after some shaking. Hopefully, I won't open up any holes in the bottom.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a rusty tank on my bike. I put in some muriatic acid, sloshed it around and then killed a few weeds. It did a great job of cleaing the rust. Be sure to put a good in-line fuel filter in the picture.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...