Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

No Spark?

Novice

Remember I'm a Novice...My tractor won't start. It is getting fuel but no spark? Can I fix it, or to the shop? Remember, I'm a Novice! Help?

maxtorman1234
O ok, You can easily fix it, I would first Check all connections, and do what Kent suggested. Maybe the ignition switch is gone? I've had this happen on several tractors, The switch will still turn over the engine, but wont get ignition. Not too sure about what to do to the engine it'self, since i dont work on Briggs;) If it was a Kohler i could help more.

The first thing I'd recommend is that you check, clean and adjust the points, using the procedure at the top of this page: http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/243431/page_4.htm

JJ MARSHALL
think back have you did any thing to lately. if not start with your kill switch and wire.take wire loose to make sure it's not grounded.and try to crank it check for fire. jj

goatfarmer
Where are you checking for no spark? It could be as simple as a bad spark plug,if you're checking there.I would remove the wire from the plug,and position it so the metal lead part is close to the block(1/4" or so away),and see if it sparks. If it still doesn't spark,I would check points and condenser,as Kent suggested. I believe that engine has an external point box,which simplifies matters greatly.Keep us informed.

thedaddycat
Want to check spark and teach a youngster at the same time? Then do like a friend's grandpa did to him way back when. As he relates the story, this was how he learned about electricity for the first time. The mower wouldn't start and so gramps pulled the plug wire and told him "Here, hold this." Being young(I think he said about 8 or so) he did just that. When Gramps pulled the starter rope.... YEOWWWW......... "Well, she's got juice" Gramps said....... ".......and that's how I learned what electricity was" my friend always ended the story.... lol

I had almost forgotten that the word Points was in the english vocabulary unless I was scoring points with my wife...lol I will work on it sunday and let you know how I make out. I was at a friends house today and he gave me a tractor of some kind, 2 lawn mowers and a weedeater, he was throwing them away. I have no clue what I will do with them, I think I will take them down the street and barter with the neighbor to fix my tractor. One man's junk is another man's treasure.

It was the Points. They had "Fouled Out". A little sandpaper and I mowed my lawn today! thanks,