Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tilling, plowing brush and moving a tandem

So I tilled the garden again tonight w/the 3012 before some planting. Then I plowed up some large brush piles onto a tandem landscaper trailer w/the 3112H. Then I used my B112 to tow the tandem trailer around the yard. I think the next question is for those tractor pullers.... Opinion, is a tandem landscaper trailer too much for a B112? Am I over stressing it? I have yet to pull this up a small grade and can choose to use my truck instead. I just didn't want to rut up the yard with a 6000 lb truck. Here's a picture of the tilling:

[img]/club2/attach/michaelg221/40521_0020.jpg[/img]

maxtorman1234
I think it will be ok, if not you'll find out if it breaks;) I've towed a ton of weight with our 917, and havent had any troubles yet. I guess it depends how much it weighs, but i'm guessing we've pulled a couple tons before.

Not a problem. The sled we pulled in competition weighed 8500 lb. I have pulled my tandem axle trailor loaded many times.

Cool, this trailer setup looks kinda funny because this has a ball on the drag bar area and the trailer sits low. I really needed to win that hitch bracket that went on e-bay last year. I was sleeping. Ever here if anyone made one of those?

With a 716 AC I have moved 23 - 28 ft campers just take it easy on the hydro and a snow blower still on helps the steering. Just a ball in the stock hitch of the AC. Whole lot easier backing trailers in to the shed for the winter. Can park those trailers much better and tighter than you could with a truck.

Think the main thing to beware of is stopping a load like that, not much for braking power on these guys.

below is a pic of the trailer hitch that came with the b112. not sure where it came from but can handle a heavy load. it slides into the sleeve hitch. looks like it could be fabricated.

thedaddycat
I think the biggest problem I've ever had pulling a load up an incline is with traction. I have an Agrifab cart that will handle up to 1700# and if loaded right up there I can't get up the steeper parts of my yard because the tires spin. Granted, they were turf tires and not my ags........

Thanks for the photos/tips. I saw the following go on ebay last year: FRONT-REAR BALL HITCH MFG #990479

thedaddycat
I have one of those, though it's a reproduction of the OEM unit. I also made one to fit just the rear, for towing the York rake. It's just a couple sections of angle iron with the "saddles" welded on to fit the rear lift cross shaft.

You were so right about the weight, I had no problem pulling the trailer in the flat areas... when I went for a grade... The wheels spun. I have the smaller weights on that machine also, but that didn't help.
quote:
Originally posted by thedaddycat
I think the biggest problem I've ever had pulling a load up an incline is with traction. I have an Agrifab cart that will handle up to 1700# and if loaded right up there I can't get up the steeper parts of my yard because the tires spin. Granted, they were turf tires and not my ags........

BTW: Busted a spring eye on my 46" dozer blade today. I think those are available new still. Funny thing, the rusty ugly one I thought would break... didn't, the clean one did. Oh well.

thedaddycat
Best to replace both of them at the same time, especailly if the one left is in questionable shape. You'd never forgive yourself if it broke while a kid was standing nearby and got hurt, or yoiu took your own eye out or something improbable like that.....

Here are a couple photo's of a hitch for my 716H that I made last year. Very easy to do. [img]http://www.ttyr2.com/shop/hitch1.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.ttyr2.com/shop/hitch3.jpg[/img]

I like that hitch design also, what are you towing with this? I'd like to design the ball to be a little higher because the trailer is down too low with the ball I've got. I might also want to consider making some reciever-coupler design so I could easily switch balls. DaddyCat... good point about the eyes and the springs. I may add saftey glasses to my gear when operating my tractor. I never saw the parts go flying but as I was putting away my machine, I thought the spring hanging and the missing eye-hook was a strange sight. As I mentioned, the fact that the bolt that looked cleaner broke, I was very surprised. Definitely agree with replacing both. I'm also going to replace the springs at the same time. THANKS!

I've been thinking about making a hitch that is adjustable in the vertical direction. Just haven't had time to do it. Got the design worked out, just need to do the fabrication