Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rear Wheel Wobble

BenB

yeoman, Thanks for the reply. I pulled the hub and the only wear I could find is a rough area on one side of the axle washer that is located outboard of the retaining ring. The axle has a discoloration in the area of the nylon bearing but is smooth as it should be. I will replace the bearings and washer. I cannot think of a way to check for a bent axle, other than removing it and rotating it in a lathe? Ben

I have a Sovereign 435-3012 which I got at an auction, so I do not know it's history. I noticed that the rightside rear wheel was sitting at a slight angle. While it is on a jack I can wobble the wheel but can not detect a great amount of end play. The wobble is showing up between the hub and differential. Can someone advise if this is only a matter of loosing setscrews and pressing the hub closer to the differential assembly, or should I remove the hub and inspect the bearing,axle,etc? Thanks in advance for any advice. Ben

It would be wise to remove everything from the wheel to the differential. The axle is either bent or worn out really bad. If this is the case you need to get a new one or one off of another tractor. From the factory on newer models there is a grease fitting for the purpose of lubricating the axle when spinning in the wheel hub. The older ones don't seem to have such a thing. One more solution is to weld it all together straight. WARNING: Don't mow grass or use as a yard tractor after this. You will make people who like the yard MAD.

Wobble noticed on a jack by tilting the tire/wheel assy back and forth by hand indicates something is worn. Wobble noticed by turning or running the tire/wheel assy in motion may indicate a bent axle or rim. Ben - on one that old the axle tube bearings may be worn allowing the movement you are seeing - it doesn't take much. Make sure the rear fluid level is full and if low you may see it slowly leak out from one or both sides after filling. Parking it on cardboard will help determine this. Yes it is a good idea to loosen the setscrews and tighen up any endplay. You may still have a bent axle or wheel as yoeman suggests. Try running it slowly with the rear blocked up securely. Place a fixed object close to the hub to use as a reference.

Jeff, Thanks for the advice. I will try rotating the axle and look for runout. ( might be able to rig up a dial indicator to something) After looking at the parts manual I'm guessing that it would be possible to pull the axle, then replace axle bearings and seals without having to remove and disassemble the transaxle case? Would that be the right approach? Thanks again, Ben

Yes the differential comes apart some to remove the axle and yes you only need to pull the trans cover off to do the tube.