Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
JoeJ

Another wheel weight idea

JoeJ
I stumbled on this site this morning and the fella made a nice looking set of wheel weights. Sorry he put them on a green tractor though. [url]http://www.frugalmachinist.com/rwr.html[/url] His homemade lawn vac is pretty nice too, about on the idea of mine.

JoeJ
LOL, Marty, That guy is a machinest, they work to numbers that aren't even on your's or my yard sticks!! But yes, he sure does. I found that site from, I think, a post he had on the Hobart welding boards. He built a steel tubing arbor for his wifes garden. AND as I need to make some points around here, it looks like a trip to the steel store. But of course I need to figure any gram pop projects that may need steel too. But folks been tellin me that steel is going up in price as fast as our gas is!!

thedaddycat
Know what the difference between a welder and a machinist is? A welder says "That's only a quarter inch", a machinist says "OMG, that's 250 thousandths...."

JoeJ
Kirk, :DMy problem is unless I really clean me cheaters, I can't make out the 1/4" marks. So now my tolerances are about, kinda, around 1/2", give or take.[V] Just always remember to "Measure twice, Cut with an axe, Beat it to fit and Paint it to match." No one will be the wiser.

thedaddycat
That reminds me of a few sayings from my submarining days.... Designed with a slide rule(update to computer), drawn by a draftsman(update to laser printer), measured with a micrometer, marked with chalk, cut with a torch, beat to shape, filed to fit, painted to match........ Then there's this one, sometimes called the Seaman's Axiom If it moves grease it, if it don't paint it, if it works don't fix it, if it don't work, salute.....

toad270
I'm a machinist and now days everything is going to .0001 (one ten thousandth of an inch) but with the cnc machines this is alot easer than it used to be with manual machines but you could bo it then too. yes .250 must parts would be paper weights