Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Shouldn't Have Bought That BOLENS

rs07

A friend of mine came to me about a month ago to tell me he was looking at a 14HP Bolens (Model 1467) Garden Tractor in the local want ads for around $800. He asked me what I thought of Bolens Tractors. I said the older ones (Pre-MTD Built) were a solid tractor but getting parts for them can be a problem. I told him, if he doesen't want to buy a new machine, he should look for a brand that is still in business. Such as a Simplicity, Allis brand or similar. I told him Bolens is no longer in business and MTD only puts the Bolens name on their machines. They do not make parts for the older ones. Anyways, he went and bought the damn tractor. This week he dropped the machine off to me to service it for him. His only complaint with the tractor is excessive vibration and noise coming from the transmission area when it is running. The tractor has a 4-Speed Gear Transmission. The tractor is in excellent condition. I believe it is a late 80's model. Upon looking for the source of the problem, I found that the transmission pulley is bent and "wobbles" while the tractor is running. I went to a nearby dealer, who sold Bolens years ago. He told me the pulley may still be available, but was unsure. He is going to do research on it. I think my friend is sorry he didn't take my initial advice.

Try an electrical supply house for the pulley, they have an amazing amount of that stuff.....

This subject came at the right time. My neighbor is supposed to be going to look at a Bolens 1250 tomorrow with a mower deck, plow, chains, and weights for $150.00. Guy says it won't go into first gear, but will go in to others. I was wondering advice he should take, buy it attempt to fix what's wrong, or just buy it to part out.

I've got a Bolen G14 and a Husky 1556, and wouldn't part with either one - and they seem to get along fine with the two Simplicities that keep them company. Those Bolens are real work horses, and I'd grab one if the price is right. There are a variety of Yahoo groups devoted to Bolens tractors, including want ads, and parts are often sold on Ebay. Just too bad there is not a Bolen site that is half as helpful as this one is for Simplicity/AC owners. I'm partial to the old Simplicity/AC machines, but gotta say that Bolens is firmly planted in second place!

Try this guy, Bergstrom's lawn and garden equipment.763-263-3680 He has alot of NOS and used parts as well as manuals.

Thanks for your responses. Will try those places. I hope I can get the part. The tractor is still in excellent condition.

quote:
My neighbor is supposed to be going to look at a Bolens 1250 tomorrow with a mower deck, plow, chains, and weights for $150.00.
The 1250 is a large (channel frame) with a hydrostatic trans., and just the plow would be worth $150. It's probably a medium (tube frame) 1050, 1253, or 1254 your neighbor will be seeing.

I tried Sonny's Farm and Home Supply. They are excellent to deal with. He had the parts sitting right on the shelf and is shipping it out via UPS first thing in the morning. Said I should have it by the weekend. There website is www.sonnysbolens.com

I have four Bolens tractors, 2 G14's a 1050 and a 1054, they are one tough tractor, all tube frame and gear drive. They will pull like you would not believe, the drive train is bullet proof and shaft drive. I would not part with my Bolens. Floyd

This place is reasonably priced http://www.phoenix-mfg.com/. And has a wide assortment of pulleys.