Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Need help with my Agco Allis 512!

Jason

Hi A few months ago I bought an Agco Allis 512 rider with a 12.5 Brigg engine in it. Well I have been having trouble with the engine, The engine will turn over, and sparks fly from the spark plug, however the engine will not fire. We replaced the Cabarator on it, as well as the gas line on it as well, but that didn't help. Do you guys know what's going on with my engine? I need to get my 512 runing as soon as possible because I have grass needing to be cut for my costumers and my Agco Allis 1920H, the front right tire blew on it, and it's in the shop being repaired:(!. Thanks any help is appreciated. Jason

You need gas, air, and a properly timed spark for the engine to run. Check the flywheel key to make sure it's not sheared and throwing the timing off. With the fuel tank hooked up, loosen the carb float bowl just a tad and make sure fuel runs out. Could be the fuel tank is plugged.

Water in the gas will have sim. results. ie-nothing. If it's sat for very long and you changed the carb. Did you drain the fuel and start from scratch? J's right on the flywheel key knocking the timeing off but I don't see that much on late model rider's with steel keysanless someone worked on it and did'nt get the flywheel tight.

Might check for compression too. Aluminum block Briggs engines occasionally drop valve seats, or maybe a burnt or sticking valve. Might even be stuck rings if it's been sitting for quite a while. Was the engine running when you got it? Or did it just quit running, or suddenly won't start now? It is possible to have a sheared flywheel key, but I've never seen it on a rider, always push mowers where someone has hit something solid with the blade. Due to the belt driven deck system on most riders, that normally doesn't happen, usually the belt just slips and maybe a blade gets bent. I would be more likely to suspect fuel not getting into the carb, or lack of compression due to valve or ring problems. I'd try a shot of carb cleaner into the carb throat and see if it fires then. If it does, you've still got a fuel problem. If not, check for compression, then the flywheel key.

One other thing, check the throttle linkage and cable adjustment to make sure the choke is closing completely. If you're not getting full choke, you'll have lots of trouble getting it to start. Put your throttle control in the full-choke position, and look in the carb throat to be sure the choke plate is closed all the way. If not, you will need to loosen the cable clamp and adjust it to where the choke closes completely, and tighten the clamp back up.

Pour a little fuel in the throat of the carb and try it.. If it fires, you know you have fuel troubles. If it is fuel, Check the fuel pump if so equipped. Good luck to ya..