Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  

Mower Deck Belt slips on Regent - Help!

If I hand to guess, you probably have the belt routed incorrectly. The pulley that has the spring is an idler pulley. It is what keeps the tension on your belt. With out drawing a picture, the belt needs to go around the side of the pulley oppisite the spring. But to mention pictures. Check your pulley cover or some where on your deck. There may be a drawing of how your belt should be routed. If not, go back to where you purchased the belt, I'm sure they have a drawing.

Hello Miguel 1. If it is a plastic pulley check to see if the shoulder has worn down one the one side, allowing the belt to travel downward. Some of the plastics are now replaced with metal. You may be able to flip it over for a temporary fix. 2. Check the pulley alignment - the support bracket may need to be bent. 3. Make sure the pulley moves freely - sometimes installing a washer incorrectly will cause it to lock up when tightened. 4. Remove the belt and check it for cord damage by moving it smoothly between your fingers - if it has a "kink" or burned spot it can cause a bad vibration. 5. When using the newer Regents with the electric PTO you should only engage the mower at full engine speed - it causes less belt shock this way.

Having a problem with my recently purchased 1997 Regent (with a 38" deck, 14hp Vangard engine, and Hydro trans). The mower had been sitting in storage for a few years and, after a few hours of mowing, the mower deck belt it came with (which was badly frayed) broke. I ordered a new OEM Simplicity Mower Deck Belt. I installed it. It seemed to work nicely at first but has been having a recurring problem: it SLIPS OFF one of the pulleys, repeatedly. On the mower deck itself, there are 3 pulleys. Two of these are closely spaced together (one sits on a short metal arm which moves on a spring); the third is on the other side of the deck. The pulley (wheel) which the belt slips off of is the smallest one, the one on the short metal arm with the spring attachment. The belt continually slips UNDER the pulley and gets stuck there. I don't have a clue what to do. (In the owner's manual it says that if the mower drive belt 'slips' then I should 'replace' it .... but I've already done that ... and the new belt slips!!!) Can someone please give me some advice??!!! --Miguel Tejada-Flores Talent, Oregon