Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Raised Bed Gardening ' Planted pics' 3 Weeks Prog

MPH

Just in case any of you other northern, cold soil gardeners use the raised method to help warm the soil, after 25 years of spending a day makeing the the bed every spring with a shovel, The 725 and 1 bottom plow made a quickie outta that chore today.

Because this'll be my home

for 5 days a week working, leaving here shortly I didn't have time to fine tune them, just raked the top a bit and turned the sprinkler on it to seal it up some. Enjoy your at home time all, I sure have mine. Decided too see how the garden does on its own 5 days a week, so I planted today. First is the half mill plastic to help warm the soil.

then the blankies to keep the plants warm

and in Memory of those who gave it all, 10:30 in the evening

Drove an extra 200 miles on the way home from work today to go to wally world and pick up a cheappie camera. Green doesn't look good on it but it was 11:30 pm when I got home.Had bumps under the garden covering

so I took it off

found a pretty good stand of snow peas too

needs a good weeding job this weekend

Looks like some serious away from home time there. Is that what you used last year? Sure beats a long commute :)

Marty, I had a 73 Dodge like that (long bed, 360 CI). Good truck. Stay safe at work and let us know when you get back home.

Elon, I'm a carpenter for making a living, been leaving home to work on the missle defense job in Delta Ak for this the third summer. Little over 100 miles away.

Marty when you start a garden like that with a grass yard do you plow it first then rototil it, or do you remove the sod {spelling, grass} then rototill it ?

If I were to start a garden in sodded soil Boney, I would plow it first then rototil. Think it be best to plow it in the fall and til it in the spring. I've put in gardens for people tilling up sod with my Troybuilt, tough way too go. For my garden, I first removed the spruce trees, then had a d-5 doze the stumps, then put the Troy to the test of guts tilling and pulling roots, then added any manure I could get my hands on, bags of lime, leaves in the fall and thank God that was 20 years ago when I was younger.

ehertzfeld
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Elon, I'm a carpenter for making a living, been leaving home to work on the missle defense job in Delta Ak for this the third summer. Little over 100 miles away.
Dose that mean you know things that the government has, that we dont want to know about???:o):o):o) Have a safe trip. Elon

Marty, Do you need to fence in your gardens up there? :(!We live "in town" and without fencing, the deer will clean us out.:(! We don't plant veggies much anymore, but have a hot electric fence for mothers flower patch. I bought her one of the solar fences from the old Allis dealer here in town and it works really great.

Moose are a problem in some areas for eatting up gardens, but here in Tok they seems to head for higher grounds before gardening season. Rabbits can be a problem when thier on the high end of the 7 year cycle, but 'there's more then one way to skin that cat'. Free running dogs with largefeet do the most damage in mine to seedlings but the transplant survive them ok.

• 3 weeks later...
I hope your gardening and construction season are very prosperous for you this year. Good luck Marty! Rob