Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Patience pays off

Dadsy98

I started this project last December. Didn't have a clue as to what I was getting into. This is my first frame up restore. Geez! I finally got the frame off the rear axle/hydro unit. Most of the sheet metal and small parts are cleaned and primed. My only worry is I'll forget how it goes back together. I had a stuck/rusted clevis and pin on one of the brake rods to the hydro. I spent a month keeping it wet with PB and kissing it with a torch. I tried some electronic freeze spray this week end and that did the trick. Now I can do the frame and learn about the hydro...

10HorseMan
quote:
Originally posted by D-17_Dave
That looks like a Case tractor.
I have seen a case with a rear end like that. :D

Yep, it's a 1971 Cub 107. A solidly built tractor back then. They don't mow like a Simplicity though. This is my practice piece so I can do justice to my B10. Hopefully I'll get the Cub all back together and sell or trade for a decent two stage air compressor.

goatfarmer
Nice job,Steve! Did Pauls here in town have any of those for parts,should the need arise?

Nope. I've got a Case 446, and it doesn't look anything like that. Wrong color too! Anyway, Case tractors are hydraulic drive, not hydrostatic. They have a hydraulic pump which is mounted directly to the engine, and a hydraulic motor driving the dual-range rear axle. A double control valve gives travel control, as well as attachment lift.

Pauls has a 107 and a few other models that could be donors. The only part I really need is the cowl where the battery sits. It's pretty sad with rust. It's also a 3 hour job to take off. I'll probably weld in some new metal on this one. Does anybody here have experience with these Cub hydro units? I've been a belt and gear guy all my life. Those little button looking things on the top of the hydro won't move...and I'm running low on PB :) Steve