Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
jpknautz

jd 317 for $100

jpknautz
hey guys i just picked up a john deere 317 with a kt 17 twin that didnt run i put a set of points out of a 5hp kohler and a spark plug and it started right up yeah i only paid $100 for it it dont have a mower deck BUT how do you guys think i did on this deal

Agricola
You are going to find that many people think you have taken the pipe on the deal because the tractor is green. Me, If it runs, if it does the work you want it to, if it doesn't cost a ton to keep running. Then it is very much worth the price you paid.

MDB
I think that you did mighty fine for $100, even if it is GREEN....;):DEven if it didn't run you could probably double or triple your money parting it out on Ebay...8D

rs07
Sounds like you got a real steal. I also work 25 hours a week for a cemetary near my house. They swear by John Deere Products. They have a 455 Diesel, 355 Diesel, an F-725 Front cut mower, a 4410 4-wheel drive compact diesel with loader, backhoe, and snowthrower, and they also have a 318 which I believe is identical to your 317. Let me tell you, I am a diehard Simplicity/AC fanatic, but that 318 is a real workhorse. They mostly use it as a backup tractor now, because it has alot of hours on it, but it is still reliable. They are talking about possibly selling it sometime this year. But they want about $3,000 for it. Don't think I really want to spend that much money on a tractor with over 1,000 hours on it. But it is still in good shape. Anyways, good luck with your 317.:)

Allis_B12
The 300 series garden tractors are worth a lot of money, because some think they're the best garden tractors ever made. (pfft...the 400 series are better and I don't really like them) I bet you could make an easy profit on it if you cleaned it up and got it running well.

jpknautz
hey about me not being a simplicity man i am i have 4 two are 7000 series one is a 3415,a broodmoor,and a 3416 but this john deere was cheap and the resale value without mower deck is $1700 the motor is worth $2442 but thanks for the feedback on it im goin to see if it will take the beatin the simplicities do

dirtsaver
Joe you got a great deal!! I have a Simplicity 17GTH-L and it's a monster! I am a confirmed cast iron Briggs man, but even I am impressed with the Kohler KT17. Also the other guys are right in that you can part out that tractor and make a mint if you wanted to. Strange as it sounds, tractors bring more parted out than they do whole, even if they still run. One question on the KT17 Joe. Is it the early KT17 or the KT17 SeriesII? I'm asking because I'm curious about the deal with the points. Mine is the SeriesII and I was not aware they had points. Larry kg4zar

bigcountry
Yes, is that 317 a series 1 or 2? Also, that is one HECK of a DEAL! I'd pass out if I picked up ANY 300 series that cheap! It should have 2 spool hydraulics on it. However, the 317 and 318 are NOT identical. The rear frame is not the same on them. Most of the 300 series will not bring less than $1000 in running condition, no matter what the rest of the tractor looks like. The 318's can sell for as much as $4000 with over 2000 hours on them if they have been well maintained. The cheapest one you'll find would probably be a 300, the oldest of the line, it only has an 8 hp I believe. The smaller 200 series are now becoming popular due to having good value, as well as being a little easier to use than the bigger 300's.

jpknautz
my kt is a series 2 it has a broken rod but i dont matter the parts are cheap when im done i will have $200 in it so if i sell it i can get at least 5x what i have in it