Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Belts?

Bruker

Who makes the v-belts for Simplicity? I just received a belt that I ordered form Jacks and the belt says 265-623 replaces 166-8066. Just to the left of these numbers is a shape that resembles the NAPA Auto Parts emblem but it has an "S" in it.

There is no aftermarket belt that is equivalent to the Simplicity belts. Simplicity does not divulge who makes their belts. Do the belts say Simplicity on them like this. [img]http://www.hbci.com/~rgoergen/MVC-819S.JPG[/img]

Nope. The belt I got from Jacks Small Engines doesn't say Simplicity on it. Just the hexagon shape with the S in it and the part numbers.

When you search the Jacks database, it will sometimes list both the Simplicity product, and a lower-priced substitute. It sounds like you've received the lower-priced (non-Simplicity) belts, since neither of the numbers you list look like Simplicity part numbers. I'm guessing it's an aftermarket belt... Are you sure you ordered the OEM Simplicity belt?

It was ordered from the "Replacement Belts for Simplicity" section. The PN 1668066 is the Simplicity PN.

When I search on that part number in the parts database for Simplicity, I get: 1668066 V BELT HA 120 $28.87 A F T E R M A R K E T P A R T S 265623 OEM REPLACEMENT BELT $26.96 Looks like you bought the aftermarket belt... with an "S" it may be a Stens....

I just checked the Stens website and that's the symbol that's on my belt. Was I mislead by Jacks? Or is this an OK belt?

I've never used a Stens belt, so I can't comment. The quality of their mower blades is good, but I'm not overly impressed with their air filters, etc.

Maynard, that wide belt in your pic is the same one that my Vanguard hydro uses on the output of the hydro pump. I hope it never breaks, I can just imagine how much it would cost to replace. The deck belt broke on me the other day, and the local dealer wants $42 and change for it, and it's a regular v-belt! $42 belt for a 42" deck....... I'll probably get it from Jack's. $24 plus shipping still has to be cheaper. I like to support the local dealer, but not at those prices!

JR It is not a regular V belt. Simplicity belts are designed to run on the back side of the belt and idlers. You can buy the cheaper belt but when you buy the second one which is cheaper. I learned my lesson years ago (1977) when I bought 4 belts one Saturday plus a 12 mile trip one-way to get them. That was 96 miles traveled and I never did finish mowing my lawn. I did stop at the Simplicity dearer on the way but like you I thought his price was high for just a regular V belt Monday I went to the dealer 8 miles away and bought a belt. That belt is still on that deck. Which belt was cheaper? Like the old saying Pay now or Pay later.

I have several Sten belts in use on my tractors, they are ok but do not hold up anything like Simplicity belts....

I'm assuming the belt from Jack's is the OE belt. At least I looked it up by the Simplicity part # from my manual. I know they sell Simplicity OE parts, as I bought some previously from them for the Vanguard.

Jack's sells both OEM Simplicity belts and aftermarket belts. If you search the Simplicity parts database by the Simplicity part #, you'll get the results that I show above -- listing both the OEM belt and the aftermarket belt.... It sounds like Bruker used a different access method, and saw only the aftermarket belts....

Well, the result I got back when I searched for that part # didn't show an aftermarket number, just the Simplicity #. There is a guy in the classifieds here who is selling some Simplicity belts, and I sent him a message four days ago asking about that number, but I have yet to get a response from him. If I don't hear anything in the next couple of days, I'll probably order the belt from Jack's. Speaking of the Stens belts, I need to get a new deck drive belt for my Case 446, and I can actually get the Case OE belt for about $5 less than the Stens belt from the same source! Since I know that the OE Case belt uses a special section width to keep it from rolling over in the idlers, I'd prefer the OE belt anyway. Another situation where generic belts just don't work. I recently had to get one of these belts for it in a hurry, so I got a belt from NAPA that they said crossed from the OE #. I had a feeling just from looking at it that it wouldn't work, but I needed to mow and both my Snapper and the Vanguard weren't usable at that time, so I bought it. Sure enough, I looked at it after mowing with it the first time and it had "rolled over" in the idlers. Three weeks later it was gone.

I agree with Maynard, Get the Simplicity Belts. I also have had poor performance from other belts. Frank

As I've stated twice, if you'll enter that Simplicity part number in this form to search the parts database, and select Simplicity as the Manufacturer, it will return the two belt numbers I copied and pasted above. The top one is an OEM Simplicity belt, the bottom one is a labeled AFTERMARKET... http://www.jackssmallengines.com/partsearchform.html

...... and this is what the Jack's page looks like. DIFFERENT belts. GENUINE OEM Simplicity belt costs $28.87. GENUINE OEM Simplicity belt will have "Simplicity" printed or stamped on the belt itself. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/jacks.jpg[/img]

...... and every once in a while I'll have an emergency and be forced to buy an aftermarket belt locally. Sometimes the aftermarket belt is just as good as an OEM Simplicity. Most times they are not. But the aftermarket belts I buy (Kevlar or some other super premium) ALWAYS cost MORE than the OEM Simplicity belt.

OEM replacement belt (Original Equipment Manufacturer) does not mean it is a replacement belt by the OEM. (Simplicity 1668066) It means it is a replacement belt FOR the OEM (simplicity 1668066) belt made by someone else. (i.e. Stens 265623 OEM REPLACEMENT BELT )

Ive never, ever, had a non simplicity belt work for more than a few hours....especially on a snow thrower....what a pain. Actually, isnt it amazing how long the simp. belts last? Ive tried green, blue, and the OEM belts from the fleet store. MUST say simplicity on it.

Well, I just ordered the deck drive belt for my Vanguard from Jack's. From what I have read above, it should be OE Simplicity. We'll see what it is when it gets here I guess. The part description did NOT say "aftermarket" or "OEM replacment", so if it is, I will let everybody know.

Anything other than Simplicity just dosent cut it. My 42" deck, 30 minutes slings any other in the yard. :D

top part is oem,, bottom part is a copy at jacks.had a friend bought all eng parts at lower price,all were chi-nee no america made!,,