Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
wasmeneh

Ring Replacement AC 914H

wasmeneh
I'm thinking of replacing the piston rings on my Kohler K321 on my newly acquired AC914H. She smokes a little under load. Does anybody know where there are any step by step instructions? I'm willing to try anything but like to have some instructions to go by. I've downloaded the Kohler manual but would like something a little more specific. Any special tools, I've got a torque wrench (inch/lbs). Will I need a ring spreader and a ring compressor? Thanks in advance Mike

HubbardRA
As a minimum you should have a ring compressor, and a cylinder hone. You really don't know what is needed till you tear it down. If the cylinder is not perfectly smooth, you will likely have to bore it. If it is smooth, then hone it to rough it up enough to get the rings to seat. Put new rings on the piston with the gaps set 120 degrees apart. Use the ring compressor to install the piston, and bolt it back together. I've re-ringed several engines with good results. I've never used a ring spreader. I just carefully put them on by hand.

rs07
I agree with Hubbard. You should look at the cylinder. The original 16HP K-341 on my A-C 916 was scored pretty bad. It burned about a quart of oil mowing an acre of grass. I replaced the engine anyways with a brand new 16HP Kohler Magnum. If the cylinder is scored and you put the new rings in. You won't be accomplishing anything.

maxtorman1234
I Put new rings on my 10HP k241, and i dindnt need a ring spreader or compressor. It's a pretty easy job, I had it done in a couple hours, but wasnt able to hone it. Still smokes a bit, But runs real well.