Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
TomF

generator/starter

TomF
I've got a 1973 homelight t-16H. My problem is that after having my starter/generator rebuilt, it no longer charges. I know it worked on the test bench of the rebuilder because I was there when it was tested. Everything worked fine before the bearings went to heck on me . Any ideas?

1. Make sure the grounding surfaces are not painted over 2. You may have to polarize the regulator (bat/reg conn) 3. You did not hook up the wiring correctly 4. You may need a new regulator

Good_Ole_JR
PLEASE REFRESH MY MEMORY ON HOW TO POLARIZE. ITS BEEN SO LONG SINCE IVE HAD TO POLARIZE A REGULATOR I HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW.

Kent
The starter/generator has separate field coils for starting and generating. It will start but not generate if the generator field coil is bad. Roy

dlcentral
Idid not polarize the gen. before starting engine. I've done it now. Still have gen light glowing at me. Checked wiring and connections. I'll have to check reg next. Iwonder if I messed up when I didn't polarize it at first? 1964-1971 automotive manual says to polarize before starting car. hmmm. ty 4 info any ways.

dlcentral
If you do not have a voltmeter,run the eng.,ground the F term on the reg. If the light goes out and the eng. lugs down a bit your reg. is faulty or has a bad connection.If nothing happens gen. isn't putting out current or it has a faulty connection. dlc

dlcentral
If you do not have a voltmeter,run the eng.,ground the F term on the reg. If the light goes out and the eng. lugs down a bit your reg. is faulty or has a bad connection.If nothing happens gen. isn't putting out current or it has a faulty connection. dlc

dlcentral
OK i've done your test DLC. light stays on. wouldn't the gen/starter fail to start the engine if it was defective? Works great as a starter! Again thank u all for help. Don't know why my e-mail address does't show. It's kk-k@voyager.net.