Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Steering Play

mongson

Despite having RTFm'ed for my tractor, I am at a loss as to how to adjust the extra play in the steering wheel. The manual makes it look very simple. But I am not able to easily find the area that they want me to work in. It looks like I have to take the deck off. Is that true? Then based on the picture, it looks like there should be the steering gear and teeth right under the machine but I wonder if there is anything else I need to remove or look for. 1997 Regent 14G. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. CM.

When you say "deck" you mean the lawn deck? I've not tightened up my steering yet, I've got to on two machines, but I'd say you would need to take off the deck. I'd expect to want to jack up the whole front end and leave enough room to access the steering gear area (both front and back). I'll read the manual and watch this forum too. Good question.

This is proceedure for repair The manual which contains this info is TP 2183 [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_500_2183_00_RG_SMA.pdf[/url]

Steering Gear Adjustment

UCD- Thanks so much for the information. I look forward to tearing into this project. If I understand correctly, you got that info from a service manual. Is that different from the owner's manual / parts manual? If so, where might I get one of my own? Thanks.