Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

What is it worth?

vansmith

I just sold a kohler 18hp (running,625 hrs.) and the mower deck from an early model sunstar for $400. I would appreciate an opinion on the value of these items.

If you were willing to sell them for what you got for them that is what they were worth. The value of any item is what the seller is willing to sell it for and what the buyer is willing to pay.

Vansmith, I think the most appropriate answer is what people are willing to pay. I actually think the value of some things is changing based on economy and just general interest. I'm seeing more cheaper in the more recent times and seeing things people are saying are worth more... sitting. For example, I've been told that 42" mower decks are worth $150,... I see one sitting on ebay for $75 (buy now at $200) that's stuck due to a reserve. Interested to see if that moves. I saw a loader not sell because the owner wanted over $1000 in reserve. Get out there and deal. If you sold for more than you paid great. As for the opinion you asked about, I am not interested in the parts you sold at any price at this time. So for me $0 would be a good deal, but if I needed them they would be worth more. Does this help?

Mike, Well put!! If you want to get an idea of what something is worth search on Ebay for the item and see what people are bidding (willing to pay) for that item.

that kohler, if in good shape, has been going for around $400 by itself on ebay. Even ones that smoke and need rebuild bring at least $250. The deck i don't know about. I bought my sunstar, with deck,needing an engine rebuild for $325. Worth has been well stated in previous posts IMO. sam

FWIW,in the local ad paper,there's a Simplicity Sunstar 18HP,ps,hydro,no engine,for $350.00.With a 48" mower deck,it's $500.00

Thanks for the feedback. Very helpful. I sold these items to a co-worker and I wanted to be sure I wasn't overcharging him.