Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sickle bar question

johnmonkey

hello all I just drilled my bar for my 48" sickle bar. The old one was broken when I bought it (I used the old one as a template for drilling). The bar I made is 46-1/4" with 23 teeth. Question- Are those the correct dimensions and # of teeth???. Thanks for any help. John H

I have asked that question a few times and never received an answer. I did however find a place where you can get new knives, cost unknown.

I just happened to have mine on the bench, I measured 46 1/8 with 23 teeth so you are right on. I don't think an 1'8 of an inch will matter one way or another.

Thanks Roger, I got lucky, mine was broken in three pieces and I only had two of the pieces, so I was guessing at the length. I just hope that I got all the holes lined up correctly and the knives go on nice and straight. Does anyone have tips on riviting the knives on?? I also have to drill three of the knives for the attaching bolts and I know with hardened steel, that it is tough stuff to drill. Thanks again, John H

I made a holding fixture with hold down clamps to keep the knife and bar together. I also bought a riveting "chisel" for my air hammer from a place in Texas called Avery tools. They sell tools for experimental aircraft. The rivets looked just like the factory riveting. But some of the others on this site have just used a big hammer with good results. GregB

John, I put my knives on a new bar. Just used a good ball peen hammerwith the rivet head sitting on the flat pounding surface of my vice. I don't know of any way you can drill the teeth. You will probably have to grind the holes with a small stone in a high speed grinder. Got my sickle bar from Roy, who had already bought a new bar from Howard Tews.

A plasma cutter will blow a hole in nearly anything. But what does a dealer suggest you do? What does a blade shop suggest? Ask a local machine shop how they would get the job done.

A carbide end-mill of the correct diameter would likely work, but wouldn't be exactly cheap. You'd want to be careful with it too, carbide is very brittle and will break easily.