Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 400 with Briggs twin?

JR

I'm still thinking about fixing up my "parts" 416H, but instead of using the Kohler 14hp single, going with a 18hp Briggs twin that I've got sitting in the shop. All it needs is a starter, and I even have an electric PTO clutch for it. Has anybody ever put a Briggs twin in a 400 series? And can anybody tell me what diameter the pulley is on the PTO clutch on these tractors? Thanks!

JJ MARSHALL
i installed 16 hp twin cyl in my 416, i had to cut out each side of frame to clear cyl.also trim center sheet metal to clear engine fan and screen. B&S engine sits farther back so as to get electic clutch pulley to line up with mule pulley. electic clutch pulley is 5 1/2 inch wide out side.had to rewire everthing. used same switch. i did my about 9years ago.i sure that i've miss some thing. but if i can help you feel free to pm me. jj

Thanks for the info! Was wondering what you did for the exhaust? If I decide to go ahead with this tractor and use the Briggs instead of the Kohler, I'll likely have a few more questions for you.

I have a 20 hp kohler in my 416 and had to cut the grill top support back for the muffler and notch the side of the support for the exaust pipe noched the frame an inch.

JJ MARSHALL
i didn't cut any thing for exhaust ijust used elbows any pipe and 2 mufflers 1 out each side <dual exhaust> jj