Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where to get A-C idler pulley?

JR

Well, I finally got the B207/Homesteader going again, and since the rain has held off for a couple of days, I got it out and did some tilling with it. But I noticed a few times that the tractor and tiller would stop and apparently the main drive belt was slipping. If I raised the tiller a bit, the tractor and tiller would start going again. So I figured it must be time for a new belt. I also noticed that the clutch idler bearing felt a bit rough. This thing is a frankenstein machine now, but I decided that it was mostly Homesteader 8. So I went to the Simplicity site and found and downloaded the correct parts manual. I found the belt and idler part numbers, and proceeded to cross the numbers to the Simplicity ones on this site. I had no problem crossing the belt number, but the idler # doesn't cross. So, what can I do now? I could just run it until it dies, but that idea doesn't really appeal to me. Has anybody ever taken one of these riveted-together pulleys apart and replaced the bearing? TIA

Go to the dealer with the old pulley and match it up to one he has most of the idler pulleys are the same.

I'd already thought of that, however the local dealer is more interested in maximizing profit than in customer service. And he is a big tractor dealer, and the Simplicity stuff is a sideline, so he pretty much has to order everything.

In my parts manual the main idler pulley for the homesteader 7 is part# 1610191 which is NLA from Simplicity Transmission drive pulley part# 1606943 USE 1651566 Mower drive pulley part# NLA

The back half of the tractor is from a Homesteader 8 (except for the fender and seat pan), so that is what I need the clutch idler for. The part number I found is 2026357, and the part x-over on this site does not show a cross to Simplicity for that number, and it appears that there is no Simplicity model that is a direct match to the Homesteader 8.

if it's riveted together, could always cut the rivets and put new bearings in from a bearing supply house/

That may be what I wind up doing. It shouldn't be too big a deal to set it up in the mill and drill out the old rivets. I can then bolt it back together with some red loctite for safety. I did find a part number on the rubber seal of the bearing, so I may be able to use that to get another to replace it with. I think for now, I will just put it back on when I get the new belt, and I may use one of those grease needles to inject a bit of grease into the bearing. It still spins fairly freely, with just a slight roughness. In the mean time, I'll keep looking for the correct idler, or a new bearing for this one.

You could also measure the diameter of the pulley and check out this site http://www.phoenix-mfg.com/ and see if it is available. Most any outdoor power equipment dealer could get you a pulley if you give them the diameter. If your local dealer doesn`t want to help there is always one out there that will.

I think I'm going to call the local the local AC dealer, before I go any further. It may be possible that they can cross it to a Simplicity #, or may even be able to still get it, tho I doubt that. I'm a dealer for a small engine parts distributer, but I haven't found anything there that is like this. A v-idler won't work, but it's not exactly a flat idler either, because it has lips on the edges. I can find all kinds of 4" v idlers, as well as 4" flat idlers, but with this being a bit of a cross breed, I'm not having much luck. I'll take a look at that site too. Thanks!

Simplicity has 4" idlers with lips on the edges I just bought one. The idler for the rear PTO Kit, the Idler on the Rear lift arm for the tiller, the clutch Idler on B series mid PTO clutch etc. 172930 4"

I can find flat idlers with lips, but the lips on this are about a half inch or more tall. The ones I've found so far only have lips about a quarter inch high. I don't know if a smaller lip will allow the belt to stay on when I push the clutch. Wouldn't be a problem if there was a guide there, but there isn't. I guess I could make one if I had to, but ti would probably be easier to replace the bearing in the existing idler. How tall is the lip on the idler you just got?

An idler is an idler. Some of the older flat ones have been replaced with the newer style with the lips. I have seen both styles on same model tractor. I just replaced one that was flat and new one has the lips. I wouldn't think that the higth of the lips would have any effect on performance. Idlers are used to take up slack ie clutch or change belt direction or to provide clearence.

JR I just got my hands on a Simplicity to Allis Chalmers & Allis Chalmers to Simplicity parts cross reference manual. (Thanks Ken/Nighteye) This 1978 manual is 124 pages of nothing but numbers Allis Chalmer's part# 2026357 crosses to Simplicity part# 108386 PULLEY-IDLER 03. MSRP $14.54. This was used on as far as I can find 85 different MFG#'s The latest being a 48" mower deck My info shows it still available.