Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
leeave96

Automatic Traction Control Question

leeave96
How well does the automatic traction control work on these tractors? Can someone explain how it works? Is it the same as a differential lock? I have some ground to mow that has some slope to it and when going from side to side on my current tractor, I get a lot of wheel slip. I have tried chevron tires and weights - which work great, but I think I might like to give a Simplicity a try, but need to know more about how the ACT works before giving one a try. Thanks in advance, Bill

leeave96
Sorry, I've been away on vacation! I gather that the ACT has been around for years. I am considering a new Broadmoor. What I like about this tractor is that is somewhat smaller than a garden tractor and easy to get on and off. Secondly, I am interested in the Simplicity quality of cut. Most important I am interested in this hillside traction I described in my earlier post. I really don't want to weigh down the tractor to get traction if I can get the same (or near so) with the ACT. Thanks! Bill

RayS
I have it on my Prestige and it works great. Here is some info from my operators manual. AUTOMATIC CONTROLLED TRACTION What is Automatic Controlled Traction? Automatic Controlled Traction (ACT) is an exclusive feature of our transmissions that provides improved traction. ACT applies a preset amount of torque to both rear wheels even if one starts slipping (a transmission without ACT will lose traction completely if one rear wheel starts slipping). This preset torque is just enough to provide additional traction, and still allow the wheels to turn at different speeds in a tight turn without damaging the lawn. What to Expect from Your ACT Tractor For the most part, while using your tractor you will not notice ACT working, and you will simply become accustomed to increased traction an ACT transmission provides. Under certain circumstances the ACT system limit can be exceeded, and one of the rear wheels may slip (for instance if trying to turn up a hill while accelerating). This is normal. If you start to lose traction, do not speed up. Instead, slow to a stop, straighten the steering wheel, and slowly accelerate. Stopping the tractor allows the transmission to regain more traction.