Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Box Scraper

Roy

I got one today from the new Home Depot in Morristown, TN. Was surprised to find it since it is a new store but they had one at the clearance price ($75). Now to get it assembled and try it out. Looks like if the scarifier bars and ends are taken off it will work like a rear grader blade also. :):) Update: Assembled the box scraper today. It is set up for the newer style sleeve hitch with the jack screws to minimize/eliminate side-to-side sway and does not have a lift eye for the old style sleeve hitch. Will have to update to the new style sleeve hitch or devise a lift eye. The assembly kit and parts all worked as they were supposed to. The instructions were fairly clean and easy to follow. All now,

I got one about a month ago. It works fairly well if you have weight on it, but man my arm gets tired working with that thing. Its making me seriously consider adding hydrolift to the old B110. I haven't tried it as a grader blade yet.

quote:
I got one about a month ago. It works fairly well if you have weight on it, but man my arm gets tired working with that thing
yup i notice a tiller on the sov has the same effect, makes one arm longer than the other...and thoughts of a hydro lift fill my head.

Criss and Doug, a front counter wt is a cheapper way out. Made the world of difference with the tiller and plow on the 725.

I got my scraper at HD 2 weeks ago...have it assembled...now i have to devise a way to put it on the 101. (I have a hydrolift! HAHAHAHA! guess that thats gonna make me lazy)

Not having never worked with either a box scraper or bellie blade. What are the differences in what they do ? thnx

10HorseMan
My blade is a large piece of steel hooked to the tractor like a box blade. It does all I want to do. :D

I bought one of the box scrapers at Home Depot a week ago. It wasn't a problem putting it together but lo and behold, it needs the conventional sleeve hitch as mentioned above. Luckily, I had purchased one from Ebay and with a bit of heating and bending, it now fits right into the mounting location for the Simplicity hitch. Now to work on the lfting system so it doesn't raise the scraper 2 feet into the air.

Agricola, when you said you heated/bent your sleeve hitch, was that due to the width was too wide to mount on the older tractors? I heard some people space out the right side with washers. I've not mounted mine yet due to my focus on lawn deck repairs. Curious how people are solving this. I'd also like to see how people solve the connection to the lift shaft without the hole which is on the newer lifts. I am contemplating making a rod which will integrate into the shaft area, not sure if that will work. Also someone mentioned that they are trying to retrofit the old hitch, from what I got from Brinly, the 4" connecting pipe is too long and is not to standards; thus I couldn't mount the cultivator on my old style sleeve hitch.

I bought a sleeve hitch kit of Ebay for about $20.00. I was going to mount it on one of the tractors as a kit. I rethought the idea and decided to take the barcket with the two bolts, cut the arms and then reweld them in place. I rethought that and decided to heat the two arms, bend them straight and then bend them at 90 degrees to get the hitch the correct width. I now fits between the verticals, in the same place as the original hitch. Behind the vertical sleeve was a piece of metal with a hole. I connected that to my lift on the rear and with a bit pull could raise the scraper. I will be changing the mounting location for the lift to get the correct mechanical advantage. All in all it works pretty well. I should make a few for people on the site. This is all mounted on my old Landlord.

Guess it could be called hacking but here what I did to my Landlord and 725 to make the new style hitch work. On the 725 I use a chain instead of the rod because the manual lift has no float position.

Distantence from ceter of pivot shaft to hole should be 3 9/16 in

I draped a chain over my lifting mechanism and even with a concrete block on the box scraper I was able to lift it. The chain is right tight against the bracket that holds the rod. It works pretty well.