Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mobile 1 Revs

Roy

Changed the oil on the new Kohler Command twin in my Sovereign last weekend. Picked up 20 to 60 rpm, depending upon the load, strictly due to using Mobile 1 oil. Interesting way to gain revs. Got to be related to reduced internal friction. My experience,

Old motorcycle mechanic I knew raced Yamaha engined gokarts years ago. He swore his engine would rev 1k RPM more using the Yamalube 2-stroke oil vs. any other brand. I'd be curious to put a thermal probe into the oil drain plug and see what temperature difference there is running synthetic vs. petroleum oils.

You wont think oil would make that much differents in how the engine runs.I guess you learn something new every day.Tony

Roy ive used the mobile 1 for a while now, no problems. I used to use Golden Spectro in my bike and thought i gained overall performance at times....wonder if they still make that stuff?

I believe it ,especially if the motor has an internal driven oil pump.It's not the friction,it's the pushing of a thick 30 weight vs.a thin synthectic through the pump.Did you ever turn an oil pump by hand when cold?However I only use synthectic when I'm blowing snow.All other times I use Mobil Delvac diesel earth mover oil.

Nope, don't work for Mobile. Some years ago I put Mobile 1 in my daughter's 85 Toyota van on a whim. She drove back to school the next day. When she came home the next time she ask what I had done to the van. I ask why she wanted to know. She replied, it runs quieter and cooler. This made a believer out of me. Have been using Mobile 1 ever since in all my vehicles. The only vehicle I do not use Mobile 1 in is my 91 Mazda pickup. After I put Mobile 1 in it the end gaps on the rings of one cylinder managed to align themselves and it started blowing smoke and using oil. Had to rebuild the engine. Am afraid to put Mobile 1 in it again since I did not replace the piston and the problem may have been related to wide ring grooves in the piston. Mobile 1 will seep through gaskets and seals more readily than dino oil so if you have any leaks the synthetic oil will make them worse. Lubrication theory wise the lubricant (fluid) is stationary on each of the moving parts and the fluid accomodates the relative motion between the parts through the liquid shear. My theory on why synthetic oils have less friction is that they shear easier than dino oils. Don't know if this this is technically correct but this is my way of thinking of it. Enough,