Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

fairbanks

patrician12

patrician12
Today I saw for sale a garden tractor.By looking at its construction I would have to say late 30's or 40's.It didn't have a name but the motor said Fairbanks-Morse.It was a single cylinder air cooled.Couldn't have been more than 5 hp.I collect trains and am a train nut.They were a big manufacturer of diesel engines.They made coffee grinders to scales to ship engines.The real company when out of business in 1968 I believe and like Studebaker some of the divisions were bought up and their name is used.Does anybody know if FM made garden tractors?I would like to buy this weird looking thing and play with it.Are parts available anywhere on earth?

Never heard of FM building anything as small as a garden tractor, I'd certainly grab it if its cheap, even if you had to have a few parts made for too much money I think you have a collectable spotted.

FM is most likely on the magneto. I think the engine's that used these were mostly Wisconsin or something along this line. The engine tag may be missing.

Thats what i was gonna say..i have an old tiller from the 40s or so that has a FM magneto on a Wisconsin motor...

I did see on E-bay back 6-8 months or so , a very small lawn tractor that had an F-M engine , and also had decals on the body proclaiming it to be a Fairbanks-Morse brand tractor. Can't remember what the model was , or if someone else made it for them , but it sure was strange looking. Would have liked to bid on it , as it was something not many people would have. Dave

I'm sure not an FM expert, but I've never seen an air cooled model. I attend a pretty large engine show each year and the only FM engines displayed are water cooled. Pat

About a week ago there was a Fairbanks Morse air cooled engine that sold on ebay for about $70.00. The location of the engine was Cave in Rock, IL if memory serves. It was as found in a barn and had a big pancake muffler and an oil bath air cleaner. A nice looking engine. I bid early on it but wasn't able to be around at the finish. Item number was 3816499893. Fairbanks made many cast iron items over the years. I have a couple of engines both hit & miss and throttle governed that are a little older than the air cooled model but they were considered to be good engines in their day.

they made a rider, I saw a pic of one, I think someone even posted it here on this site.....it looked half golf cart half tractor. http://www.atis.net/stationary-engine/archive/msg032261.shtml

quote:
Originally posted by DougM
they made a rider, I saw a pic of one, I think someone even posted it here on this site.....it looked half golf cart half tractor. http://www.atis.net/stationary-engine/archive/msg032261.shtml[img]/club2/attach/dougm/fairbanks morse.jpg[/img]
That was Dan who posted something like it. I wonder if he still has it? [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=16854&SearchTerms=a[/url]