Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MDB

Headlights

MDB
I have been wanting to put lights on some of the tractors but with the cost of OEM lights did not do much about it. Last week I went down to the local combine salvage yard and here is what I found.

Guide headlights,

Found these in the steel pile,

Some heating, bending, cutting, a couple of holes and here is the bracket. The one on the left is home made, the one on the right is OEM

Here is the finished product on the HB-112 that I got from Rokon.

HubbardRA
Mike, Very good job making the bracket. I have a couple of lights that I have veen thinking of mounting on my 61 Wards. They are much thinner than yours. Seems the vertical exhaust is in the way. I really don't want to change the exhaust. Guess I'll put that off till I come up with a good work-around idea.

mowerman1193
Looks very good...I kinda wish I had kept some of the lights I had picked up over the last few years...These cheap aftermarket walmart lights I have don't seem to stay put with the vibrations from my trators...I ever get my hands on more of those guide lights they wont be ebayed..

Tom_Byrne
Nice job! What did you use for replacement switches? I can't seem to find the right ones. On the originals the part where the electrical connections are were small and low. All I find now for replacements have a large plastic piece that sticks out about 1/2 inch, getting in the way of the bulb and wires.

D-17_Dave
I discovered AC combine lights ans gauges a few years ago while restoreing my D-17(hence my namesake). Besides a set of good working headlights, I have one of the few pre 60's D-series tractors with coloured faceplates that still say Allis-Chalmers. Something that is absolutely NOL. Good find, and good job.

Ryan
MazdaManiac, Here is a print of the head light bracket. The bottom mounting hole has a spherical slot about 3/4 inches, in the shape of a smiley face. Material is a 1/4" thick. You will have to figure you own bend allowance. I have not computed it yet. [img]/club2/attach/Ryan/3212v%20%20Head%20Light%20Bracket.jpg[/img]

Bunky
Well I will have to look around some more But mowerman and I went to a Tractor Salvage yard yesterday saw quite a few guide lights none had switches We will have to look again another day through the shelves and bins.

MPH
Looked at various at Wally world today. Though kinda 'cute' them little driving light just don't seem like they would look right on a B-112. Is the 55 watts too much for the S/G. NAPA man in Delta who has black rubber farm equipment lights for 13 bucks each said the Holgen's won't hold up to the vibration as well. Rod H, you should be able to mount your lights on the 61 through the hinge hole like mine on the 725. It works real good and looks good. If you need I'll post a pic of it.