Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Rob-B

Grass Clippings and Fire

Rob-B
This is a topic in million years I thought I would ever write about, let alone actully experience. I'm a firefighter in Northeast Ct. and last Friday I got called out for a structure fire at 12:45 am. From time of call to the time we were on our way back to the station was about three hours. Anyways, the offical cause of the fire, from the State of CT. Fire Marshal was organic in origin, and started in the area of the mower deck. Spontaneous combustion of the cut grass in the mower deck of the rider mower (unknow what kind). He (state fire marshal) figured this burned about an hour before it burned throught the roof for anybody to notice (the call came in as a smoke investigation). This is something I was always told about in my years at the state fire school but this is the first time I've ever seen it. After reading this article tonite ( http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32506 ) I thought it was a good idea to write this. So make sure you clean those deck or keep them well ventalated. The 30' X 30' garage that was lost I would have loved to have. Rob

Nick
Our fire district had a similar call last year. Guy parked this MTD beside his shed to take a break. It caught fire and burned down the shed next to it. cause of fire, grass wedged between the muffler and the engine block.

Never heard of such a thing, whod a thunk it. I gotta believe a hot under lubed bearing wouldnt make it any better.

D-17_Dave
I'm a Firefighter here in NC and with the hay season upon us and wet weather a barn fire is almost a seasonal thing. Hay bales put up too soon with too much moister still in the hay tries to cook out of the hay. This creates heat. If the bales are packed too close or too tight around each other the heat will actually biuld and ignight the hay after a long smoldering. Definately a bad deal. I haven't ever heard of this happening to a mower deck but grass around other ignition sources is.